Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front sway bar size (diameter)?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jul 2010, 11:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Front sway bar size (diameter)?

I'm getting ready to replace the bushings and end links on my '04 PT's front sway bar, but I see numerous diameter bushings that all say that they are replacements for the car.

Does anyone know what size bushing I need to order?

It's a regular old PT, non-turbo, non-touring.

Thanks!!!
Old 24 Jul 2010, 11:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Front sway bar size (diameter)?

i just checked mine on my GT it was 24mm. So I would think for a non-GT it would be 23mm. Just a guess. If you go to Napa auto they can let you use a caliper and you can check it. Thats what I did.
Old 17 Oct 2010, 03:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

I also have the same question.... There surely is an answer without having to measure? Any ideas? Mine is a 01 non-turbo... Although, I am leaning Tuesday to pick up a 05 GT conv........long trip, but great deal...
Old 17 Oct 2010, 04:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf55555 View Post
I also have the same question.... There surely is an answer without having to measure? Any ideas? Mine is a 01 non-turbo... Although, I am leaning Tuesday to pick up a 05 GT conv........long trip, but great deal...
I just changed my bushings and the sizes are 24 and 26mm. Mine is an 04 non-tubo and the bar is 24mm. I'm not sure if the 26 is for the turbo cars or if it was for a different year.

BTW, once I changed the end links, which were almost crystalized, they were so bad, and the bar bushings, the clunk is gone and it rides almost like a new car now. I just have the drivers side control arm to replace and it will be all new. :-)
Old 17 Oct 2010, 04:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Just FYI... buy the whole control arm with balljoint and new bushings. Replacing just the bushings is a major pain IN THE A##. You can find the arm on ebay for around $60. FOR EVERYTHING. I did the whole arm on pass side, then tried to save some money and did just the bushings and balljoint... bad...BAD MOVE...
Old 17 Oct 2010, 08:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I know what you mean about replacing the bushings, I just replaced the entire arm/ball joint and picked it up for $54, for the passenger side. It was a pain in the neck to replace though, I had to replace the motor mount once I got into the repair. The drivers side is easier though.

Belle Tire quoted me $175 to replace the control arm and do a 4 wheel alignment, so I'll probably let them do it since it's getting cold and damp outside.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 06:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

My '01 is 24mm on the front....15mm on the back..I measured them
BTW..mine is a Limited with 4 wheel disks...if that makes any difference???
Old 24 Jun 2012, 08:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf55555 View Post
Just FYI... buy the whole control arm with balljoint and new bushings. Replacing just the bushings is a major pain IN THE A##. You can find the arm on ebay for around $60. FOR EVERYTHING. I did the whole arm on pass side, then tried to save some money and did just the bushings and balljoint... bad...BAD MOVE...
I just ordered a set of control arms for my 05 pt touring convert./2.4L turbo. They cost 45 dollars with free shipping from Amazon and they are made by MOOG.