Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
02' brake noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 2010, 09:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 02' brake noise

I have an 02' PT.When I first leave my driveway in the morning the brake noise is terrible.It does go away within a couple of miles.I have checked pads & rotors,both are fine.My local mechanic says this is a "normal' problem for PT's.What say you guys?
Old 28 Jul 2010, 11:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 02' brake noise

Welcome to the Forum GIZZY!!! What kind of noise, scraping or dragging, IF you have changed pads before you noticed the noise, maybe the brake clip was put in backwards.

Has the noise just started or have you always had this noise. I put new pads on and as I live in Florida where the humidity is high, I heard a dragging noise until I depressed the brake pedal and wiped the rust off of the rotor. After a few times, no noise!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 28 Jul 2010, 11:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the friendly welcome...It sounds like what you described,rust.It does go away fairly quickly.I was just wondering if I was the only one with this noise.
Old 28 Jul 2010, 02:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Nope, your not the only one. Mine, even with upgraded drilled rotors and Hawk Performance brake pads squeals like a poked pig as I'm coming out of the garage. I think it's all this humidity that overnight builds a thin film of "rust" on the rotors. As you say, in less than a minute it's gone. I usually get up to about 25-35mph and lightly hit the brakes and it cleans them off and the squealing is gone.
Old 12 Sep 2010, 02:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

My 04 back brakes sound like it metal on metal it is horrible. took it to break shop he says pads and rotors are just fine! Ugh!
Old 21 Sep 2010, 10:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

I just bought a used 07. it made a loud whooooo sound almost like wind, not a screach, from the front left when I first drove it home it had been sitting on the dealer lot-also heard it for about a mile the next morning. When I put light pressure on the brakes it goes away. Heard it for the one night and the next morning not for the next 2 days I hope it is ok. Could this be moisture or rust on brakes?