Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Trouble Removing Front Wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jul 2010, 01:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Trouble Removing Front Wheels

We have a 06 GT Conv that we bought last April with 24k. It now has 32k, so I decided it was time to rotate the tires and also check the brake pads and rotors.

After removing the lug nuts on the front wheels the wheel acted like I hadn't removed all of the lug nuts. I had to physically remove the front wheel by repetedly kicking it with my foot.

If my wife would have had a flat while out on the road, and couldn't contact triple A, she would have had a fit.

The problem is that the center hole in the rim is too tight on the rotor hub'

The car is equipped with the factory rims. I'm wondering if any one else has experienced this problem.

J
Old 31 Jul 2010, 02:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Trouble Removing Front Wheels

They are a very tight fit and a little rust really makes the fit even tighter.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 31 Jul 2010, 03:00 pm
Young Cruiser

I sprayed the hub of the rims with WD-40, but I expect that when it's time to rotate the tires again, I will experence the same problem due to the rust formation.
J
Old 31 Jul 2010, 04:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

WD-40 will be OK for a short time but you really want to use some high temperature grease both on the center hub and the threaded parts of the studs on the wheel. Makes it a heck of a lot easier the next time taking them off.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 10:55 pm
Young Cruiser

Yes, I could use some grease on the wheel hubs, but since I'm going to take the Cruiser to a machine shop and have all the wheel hubs turned to fit the rotor hubs, I decided not to do that at this time.

The WD-40 was sprayed on just so I could get the wheels back on without worring about stripping the threads on the lug nuts.

I can't let my wife drive the Cruiser until I get this fixed. I also don't want to be straining my milk trying to get one off if I have a flat.

I just wondered if the wheels were that way on all of the 06 Verts or was I the only lucky one to have such a good "fit".

J
Old 01 Aug 2010, 11:14 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Don't grease your studs. Why on earth would you want to put an anti-friction compound on the only things holding your wheels on? Lubricating the lugs nuts is not a good idea!

Don't grease the hub either where it contacts the back of the wheel. All you need is some anti-sieze applied to the hub when you reinstall the wheels, and next time you won't have a problem. You also won't have to deal with the mess that comes with applying grease.
Old 01 Aug 2010, 11:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Wow Chris, we really do disagree on this one. I'm not saying to slap a pound of anti-friction grease on anything, but I've learned from countless mechanics that I've watched in my younger years that a very small coating of high temp grease on the studs stops rust from forming and in the last 40 years of messing with cars I've never had a stud come loose because of the grease when the studs were properly torqued down. I've also never had to stand on the breaker/wrench bar to break loose the studs as many owners have to do when they are rusted down.

I've never had to put anything on the hub either but TakenItEasy was having such a hard time with fitting the wheel, a very small application of high temp grease might help him the next time he has to take the wheel off. Not globs of it all over the hub or back of the wheel.
Old 01 Aug 2010, 02:30 pm
Young Cruiser

There wasn't any rust on the studs, and I didn't have any problem getting the lug nuts off and I always use a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts to the proper torque, and while putting a small amount of grease on the wheel hub would help with getting the wheels off, The problem is with the wheel hubs, They Are about a mm too Small to properly fit on the rotor hubs.

I'm the second owner of the cruiser, so I don't know if the original rotors were changed or not. It only had 24k on it when we bought it. I just thought it would be nice to know if this was a common problem with this particular model of cruiser.

J
Old 01 Aug 2010, 03:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Haven't heard of any problems on this forum. The ONLY problem seems to the the read drum on the PT's with drum brakes.
Old 01 Aug 2010, 04:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Haven't heard of any problems on this forum. The ONLY problem seems to the the rear drum on the PT's with drum brakes.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar