Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Anybody regret lowering springs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Aug 2010, 01:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Anybody regret lowering springs?

Anybody ever put lowering springs on their PT and wish they didn't?

Mine's an '07, and I'm looking to go 1.75" to 2.25" in the front and 3" to 3.5" in the rear. (I don't know what drop sizes are available yet... haven't looked)

I hope it doesn't mess with my lifetime powertrain warranty. I could understand CV shafts wouldn't be covered... but I'd hope they would never blame a transmission failure on the lowering springs. I can hear them now... "Well sir, the lowering springs make the CV shaft operate at a different angle than stock, and stressed (whatever part) in the transmission which led to this failure..."

Old 07 Aug 2010, 01:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Anybody regret lowering springs?

Under the Magnuson-Moss warranty act, the dealer wold have to prove that the lowering springs actually had something to do with whatever fails. Like all the guys who had the front wheel bearings go out. If they tried to get them fixed under warranty and the dealer said that lowering caused the bearings to go out, the dealer would have to prove that lowering caused the problem.

Magnuson-Moss Act: Vehicle Modifications and Warranty

Back to your question. Yes, when I first lowered mine back in 2000 (at that time NOPI was the only one carrying mods for the PT) I really thought I did the wrong thing. I loved the look but I didn't like how it bounced. I put up with it for a couple years and then saw that TOKICO had both shocks and struts for the PT that were specifically designed for lowered cars. It really did make a difference.
Old 07 Aug 2010, 01:31 pm
Regular Cruiser

How many inches of drop were your springs that were bouncy?
Old 07 Aug 2010, 01:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't know. Never measured the before and after drop and NOPI wasn't advertising the inch drop in their ad. Eibach listed the lowering springs (there was no Eibach Pro kit as there is now) and back in 2000 there wasn't the aftermarket following for the PT as there is now. I hated the space in the wheel wells and didn't care what the drop was if it took the space out, and it did.
Old 07 Aug 2010, 11:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Regret? No. Do I sometimes wish I had changed the struts and shocks at the same time? you bet. I don't get any bounce, just a jarring ride My drop is 1.5 front 1.75 in back.
Old 08 Aug 2010, 03:17 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Talking Re: Anybody regret lowering springs?

Hey Guys,

You know I have to throw my two cents in on this one.

At one time I was well known for making a total of 6 sets of custom 3" x 5" drop kits for my PT, and a few close friends of which I believe one set is still back up for sale again last I heard. Main reason I did my own was that the lowest set didn't level the PT out as it was supposed to be designed to do which irked me off pretty good, so I made my own which did what it was supposed to do the first time and leveled my ride at 4" on all four corners and took care of the wheel gap once and for all.

My drop was .25" lower in front, and a full 2" lower in back than the lowest kit still available today which would be the Goldline Super Slammers at 2.75" x 3.25". Here os an old pic of the Goldlines on my PT. Notice the rake still in the back, and the second pic is with my springs where it is sitting level as I wanted it in the first place.

Here was how much less spring their was.

They were progressively wound which makes a big difference in performance, and ride quality, as well as they were made from a specialized titanium mix which is normally used for high strength with a high ability of give to it used in off road trophy truck suspension systems for racing purposes.

Any time you drop any ride, you of course are going to inevitably compress the suspension which will give you a stiffer ride. If you do just a mild drop, you shouldn't have that much problem with ride quality. If you do a big drop, then the ride will suffer for sure. Changing out your stock struts with the Tokiko's, and shocks will make some improvement in the ride though with a big drop it only able to improve so much.

Tire side walls will also play a critical roll in ride quality as well. The lower the tires profile, the stiffer the ride quality as well.

Best thing if you want to drop it without sacrificing the ride is to go to air ride like I eventually did so that you can ultimately adjust how stiff or soft you want your ride to be via controlling how much air pressure is in your bags at any given point, but it comes at a high cost, and with a lot of complex parts that can potentially cause problems, and I wouldn't recommend them if your ride is a daily driver unless you are very well adapt to a wrench.

Other then that, I have always had dropped vehicles, always loved the look over the ride quality, so nope, I never regretted it at all. Here is where I love mine at.

Lowered 4 life!

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing

Last edited by Candyman; 08 Aug 2010 at 03:41 am.
Old 08 Aug 2010, 03:35 am
Senior Cruiser

I would have to say no. I've got Eibachs on with the stock struts/shocks and the ride is a little bouncy, but not harsh IMO. It depends on the quality: Candy Drop and Eibachs are the highest quality springs for the PT from what I've read.

Hell, I'm wanting to go lower, lol. Stiiiiiill not sure though. I can handle some roughness in a ride, but would hate to play chessgames with slanted pavement.
Old 08 Aug 2010, 09:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks to everyone who posted! I've had a few lowered trucks, so the stiff ride is nothing new. As long as there are no alignment issues or problems with wearing out suspension and/or steering parts too quickly, then I'm gonna lower mine.

Candyman, I would love for mine to sit like yours does now... it looks awesome! I'm not into that much though... YET!

So in the pic below, this is the kit you made? What size tires are you using in that pic? I want to be level, or just a little lower in the back... I hate the raked look on these cars. I may PM you later with more questions if it's ok.

Old 09 Aug 2010, 02:01 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Anybody regret lowering springs?

Hey their 2007,

No problem, you can PM me anytime and I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have,.

In the pic I was, and actually still am running my stock GT 17"s on my OEM spec tires that came with the car. You can actually go anywhere from 15" all the way up to 19" and keep the same overall stock dimensions of the wheels by downsizing the tire sidewalls but you will also diminish the ride quality in the process. The 17"s seem to be a decent trade off though if I had my way I would be sitting on either 19"s or 20"s which might come to be in a couple more months if things go right.

Here is another PT with 19"s riding on my springs.

It just looks way better to me when sitting level over having it up in the back like the Goldlines leave it.

Unfortunately I am no longer able to make these springs as we only had a limited amount of the material given to us, and to manufacture them otherwise would be a huge expense, since they were originally made from some leftover very expensive titanium mixed material used specifically for an off road racing trophy truck suspension, however like I said, I believe the last set made which were demoed on that blue PT are back up for sale again. They were nice and light weight, and were nicely finished off in powder coated Electric Blue Metallic as well, and looked pretty sick when they went out. Also unlike most springs, because the material is so stout, they sit at their true height, and will not sag or settle over a couple of months like the majority of drop spring kits will do.

I can put you in touch with him if you might be interested in them.

Anyways, let me know if you jave any more questions any time.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 09 Aug 2010, 07:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

Yeah, I gotta have a set, that's all there is to it.