Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Old Rims

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 2010, 07:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Old Rims

Hi guys! I changed my wheels a couple of weeks ago and I was wondering is there anything that can be done to the old chrome wheels. Two of them have gashes in them. Another was leaking due to rust. They are all rusty on the inside. Before I toss them I wanted to know can they be stripped and refinished. I didn't want to be throwing money away in this economy! They are the original 17" chrome wheels from my 2004 GT.
Thanks for any info!
Old 08 Aug 2010, 09:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Old Rims

Only if your planning to sell them is it worth trying to get them back in shape. There's always GT owners looking for 1 or 2 rims to replaced their damaged ones. If the gashes aren't oo bad, they might still be of use to someone.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 09:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Old Rims

Are those the chrome plated aluminum wheels?

I was able to refurbish some used chrome plated aluminum wheels for my own use to put on my base PT. What I did was to clean them up *really well* and strip off all the paint and guck from the backside part of the wheel. Then in the bead area (where the chrome was peeling off), I carefully removed the peeling chrome. Where it had peeled to the point where it was stable, I scored it with a knife, and broke it off there. Then I cleaned out all the oxidized aluminum with a Dremel and pick tools. I did not accept any wheel with deep pitting, more than about 1/16 inch over a wide area, or occasional 1/8 inch pencil lead size pits. Once that was all clean, clean, clean, I filled in the pits with regular JB Weld and surfaced the repaired area with sandpaper. Then I sand-scuffed the entire backside, inside and bead area, and using a shop-made rotating device and a sprayer, I used Eastwood's epoxy primer to evenly coat the bead and center area, and the backside of the wheel. Within an hour, I finish coated the backside and bead & inside with gray catalyzed acrylic enamel (I'm old school).

I actually did this to eight wheels intending to pick the best four. Four of them had no pitting at all when I began. It was difficult to tell which was which when I was done, and I ended up installing two that had pitting repairs. They do not ooze air any faster than the others. So I have four spare wheels.

Mine are the 16 inch chrome plated aluminum wheels, not the 17 inch wheels, so there may not be any comparison.