PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help; Are these lower control arm bushings bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Aug 2010, 12:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help; Are these lower control arm bushings bad?

Hello, I’m new here so hello, how are you guys doing!!

I have a question about the front end suspension of my 2001 Pt cruiser limited edition 87,000 miles. I have been hearing some creaky/thunk noises coming from the front end of my pt cruiser for a little while. I finally had some time to put my car up on jack stands to take a look at what could be the problem. What I think might be the problem is the lower control arm bushings. The driver’s side bushing looks torn, after I researched a little and have found that this is normal when the suspension is down and the tires are off the ground.

I have provided a few pictures of what the bushings look like when the suspension is all the way down. I also took a few pictures when the suspension was lifted by a floor jack. I was wondering if these bushings look normal or if they look bad?

If they are bad I guess I have a few options here. I am pretty mechanically inclined. I’m willing to buy a few tools to do the job correctly.

1. I guess my first option would be to replace all the bushings on the control arm. This would require a press for the other bushing (not shown in picture) on the lower control arm to remove and install. I will need to also replace the ball joint because the boot is obviously torn and will probably wear out quite fast. That will require a ball joint kit probably and a press (tools which need to be bought).

2. My second option would be to buy the whole lower control arm assembly for both sides, which would be the easiest way to fix the bushings and replace the ball joints. Because everything comes as a whole unit when you buy the whole control arm. But unfortunately if I bought the lower control arms they probably wouldn’t come with some beefed up polyurethane bushings Which is what I would like to have installed, This might give me some time before they need replaced again.

3. Another option would be to take it somewhere to get repaired, and pay someone else to fix the problem. (don’t want to go that route if possible)

So I’m assuming the only tool(s) that I would require to purchase would be a press and the ball joint remover/installer, to replace the bushings? I might be able to take the part to a local shop and have them press it in for me also.

Thank you if anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it! I love my pt cruiser. Hasn’t given me any problems and it’s at 87k miles and I would like to keep it for quite a bit longer.

Edit: one other question. If you were me what would you do?
And would there be any noticeable difference with the polyurethane bushings?
and has anyone done these yourself without a press?

After some late night research almost 2:30am EST, Im starting to get a view on the prices here.

Went on ebay and I can buy two control arms for $145 Free shipping.

I went to rock auto for pricing of the individual parts
Suspension : Control Arm Bushing
2x-MOOG Part # K7471 Rubber $20.28
2x-MOOG Part # K7472 Rubber $8.94
Suspension : Ball Joint
2x-MOOG Part # K7147 Frt Susp; Lower $53.58
Total $90.33 after shipping.

Rock auto also sells the moog complete control arm
MOOG Part # K620010 Control Arm w/Ball Joint
Frt Susp; Lower; RH; Incl. bushings $79.79

MOOG Part # K620009 Control Arm w/Ball Joint
Frt Susp; Lower; LH; Incl. bushings $79.79
Total price $167.83 shipped

Rockauto ain't that bad... of a price. Hmmm going to sleep on this one.

All the parts would be Rubber, Not Polyurethane.

I have looked up a few Polyurethane bushing parts but It seems like you must reuse the OEM metal parts with the new Polyurethane bushings. Which leads to removing the old rubber off the metal parts. That doesnt seem like it would be stronger or better then buying the solid rubber parts.

Ebay Polyurethane kit prices prices *Prothane $37.00+$7.00s/h* and another was *Energy Suspension $36-34+$9-10 s/h

now if i were to buy a small 6ton press around 70$ and the ball joint tool for around 40$. It seems like buying the two lower control arms might be the best and fastest option. but having a press is always a nice tool to have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drivers side with suspention down.jpg (93.7 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg Drivers side with suspention up.jpg (91.7 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg Passenger side with suspention down.jpg (95.9 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg passenger side with suspention up.jpg (94.9 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg torn ball joint boot.jpg (90.7 KB, 290 views)

Last edited by Christopher561; 25 Aug 2010 at 02:16 am.
Old 25 Aug 2010, 12:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help; Are these lower control arm bushings bad?

id say that the drivers side is ready to be replaced for sure
Old 25 Aug 2010, 02:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
id say that the drivers side is ready to be replaced for sure
Thank you for your answer. Yeah that one is pretty cracked.
Old 25 Aug 2010, 04:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

you know im kind of like you if it is MY car and I am in the mood and had the ready cash------ id just replace it all and be done with it for a long time that is provided you are planning to keep the car

when i did the timing belt i did the water pump the belt both hoses flushed the rad out new oil new air filter new wipers and a new set of 16 inch tires and new shocks in the back oh and a new press is always a cool thing to have
Old 25 Aug 2010, 04:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
you know im kind of like you if it is MY car and I am in the mood and had the ready cash------ id just replace it all and be done with it for a long time that is provided you are planning to keep the car

when i did the timing belt i did the water pump the belt both hoses flushed the rad out new oil new air filter new wipers and a new set of 16 inch tires and new shocks in the back oh and a new press is always a cool thing to have
yeah. It's easier to just replace everything at once than taking everything apart.... reassembled everything. Then something els breaks.. and the cycle continues... lol

I'm reallllly knocking on some wood here... I hope to have the car for quite a bit longer.

Another question that has come up for me is when I had the car jacked up. and a jack lifting the suspention. Should I have been able to raise and lower the control arm at the bushing with a crow bar?. Or is the control arm suppost to slide up and down on that particular bushing. Thank you again

I posted a few new pics. one which is the swar bar bushing looks shot also. would you say?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg passenger side control arm lifted up 2.jpg (91.7 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg Drivers side control arm lifted up 3.jpg (95.5 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg swar bar bushing.jpg (92.7 KB, 193 views)

Last edited by Christopher561; 25 Aug 2010 at 06:54 pm.
Old 26 Aug 2010, 05:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So I decided.to buy both control arms..

MOOG Part # K620010 Control Arm w/Ball Joint

Frt Susp; Lower; RH; Incl. bushings $79.79

MOOG Part # K620009 Control Arm w/Ball Joint

Frt Susp; Lower; LH; Incl. bushings $79.79

Total price $167.83 shipped

I also bought swaybar bushings. And swaybar linkages
Everything came to 199.97

Just need to do a front end alignment. I will call around and see who's the cheapest. I saw somewhere that Sears charges $65.

I will post a follow up on how everything goes.

Thank you again cruserdad,wish I had.a few more replies. I hope I didnt mess up. But I honestly think the bushings are shot
Old 26 Aug 2010, 08:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well.. I ran into a little bit of a snag. I need to torque the rear control arm bolt to 185ft-lbs. My torque wrench only goes to 150ft-lbs. CRAP!
Old 29 Aug 2010, 10:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, all done. Took about 4 hours total for both control arms, and the sway bar bushings. I then went to sears for an alignment. Which I realize was not the smartest choice. But It was the cheapest option. Unfortunately my rear left and rear right are still out of specs. The left rear toe was .01degree above the specified range of 0.00-0.20degree and my right was .08degree above the specified range of 0.00-0.20degree. The left rear toe was .21degree and the right rear was .28degree. So they are still out of specs. I figured I would need shims to fix the problem. i called them and asked if I could install the shim and they said yes and they would rechceck my alignment, no charge for 6 months. But its not really that much out of specs for much concern or should I be?

Oh yeah. The ride/sound/feel of the steering/front end is Awsome! Much improvement after the new control arms/ bushings. No more clank or squeak or anything . Sounds like the car is new.

Last edited by Christopher561; 29 Aug 2010 at 11:08 pm.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 03:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm so glad I found this site! I have an 03 that has similar issues in the front with the bushings. My problem is I don't have the knowledge or equipment to fix it myself. My question is, as a whole, how difficult of a repair is this. Secondly, I have talked to 3 dealerships all of which have quoted me 3 different costs to repair. One told me it was just a matter of replacing the bushing the others told me that I have to replace the whole assembly. My question is can one of you incredibly knowledgable folks give me some advise. And I am attaching a website the dealer sent me to. I am having trouble identifying the bushing seen in the above post. It looks exactly like mine but I can't make heads or tails of the diagram.

http://moparestore.trademotion.com/m...T/00i70121.gif

Which number is the bushing seen in the above posts? And lastly:
The ride of the cruiser lately has felt like the front shocks have gone completely out. Is this a common problem associated with the type of wear seem on the bushings?

Thanks for you indulgence.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 09:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. May I ask where did you bought your control arm? I am looking for a supplier. Mine is already busted and really needs to be replaced.

Last edited by bpeterson; 22 Nov 2010 at 06:31 am.