Advertisements
PT Jack??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Sep 2010, 01:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default PT Jack??

HI Gang..
I have a fairly simple question..
I guess the jack to raise the car is the same sizzor type jack as most any other car.
We bought ours and noticed afterward it didn't have a jack. Dealer ordered us one, but we are going out of town this weekend, and don't want to go without a jack (always be prepared right??)
I have a sizzor jack in my '96 Caddy, and I figured it would get us by for this weekend... ? Hoping I am right.

Also while on the subject,.. how do you go about removing the spare from the car. I am assuming it is under the rear of the car,.. and it looks like some sort of nut lowers the thing that holds it..?? GF stays gone to work in it all during the day,.. and it's always dark when she gets home so I hadn't got a chance to look..
Finally how much trouble is it to lower/remove. I know with many things like this there is a 'trick'.
Just wanted some input on this while I was on the subject
THANKS
Old 02 Sep 2010, 01:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Jack??

Yes, it's a scissors jack and it comes in a pouch in the right rear inside quarter panel near the rear light and 12v socket, if you have one. I have a fire extinguisher attached to the panel door in the picture below.

Inside the pouch with the jack is a jack handle that serves three purposes. One to turn the screw that makes the jack go up and down and to take off the lug nuts, the third is to screw the long bolt that holds the spare tire. Read on .......

Next to the latch hook at the bottom of the rear hatch opening, you'll see a flap cover that just snaps on. Under that flap cover is the head of the bolt that lowers the spare tire. So until you get the spare jack from the dealer, you'll want to carry a wrench and socket that fit that bolt head so yo can lower and raise the spare tire.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 02 Sep 2010 at 02:00 pm.
Old 02 Sep 2010, 02:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

thanks for the info
We found the space the jack stays hidden in.. all that was there was the bag the jack is supposed to be in.
Hope I never have to go threw the whole process on the side of the road..
Old 02 Sep 2010, 02:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you get the handle or find a wrench and socket, it's a good idea to check the spare about once a year. It's supposed to hold about 60 lbs of air. lots of people forget about it because it's hidden or to much trouble and then find out it's flat when the need it.
Old 04 Sep 2010, 09:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

thats a good idea.. thanks..
Dealer said he'd order me a new jack.. guess after seeing someone else's post I better check it and make sure it works... lol

My Caddy has a scissor jack, and I looked to see if it would fit into the hiding spot. My Caddy jack is too big....
And the trip for this weekend got canceled today... bummer
Old 09 Sep 2010, 11:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

The original jack has a groove down the middle of the plate on top. I've used a Ford van/pickup scissor jack on the PT Cruiser successfully. As always, be careful where you place it, so you don't damage anything.
Old 09 Sep 2010, 11:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

PS: The jack handle sucks for loosening lugnuts. Keep the studs and nuts wire brushed and free of rust. I like to keep a long 1/2 inch breaker bar with a deep well socket with me for loosening and tightening. I use a breaker made by Pittsburgh Tools sold at Harbor Freight that has a ratchet on the end...it makes life so much easier...better than a large spanner.
Old 09 Sep 2010, 04:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

I used to keep a large steel pipe in the trunk to use as a breaker bar...but a real breaker bar is a much better idea.
Old 09 Sep 2010, 06:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

I like to do a lot of my own car repair..
SO I HATE the things the factory sends you to loosen lug nuts.
I bought me a "T" lug nut wrench. Sure makes breaking lug nuts loose a lot easier, and a more 'secure' grip.
I already got us a T wrench to change tires on the PT. And It's 'short' enough so I can us it to spin the nut that lowers the spare tire.