Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
what off set to run with 20's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Sep 2010, 10:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default what off set to run with 20's?

im wandering what offset some of you guys with 20's are running to get them to tuck into the fenders? mine is lowered about 1.5" so im not sure if i can get 20's to fit with a 30 series tire or not?? anyone with lowering springs have 20" rims, front and rear?
Old 21 Sep 2010, 09:54 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: what off set to run with 20's?

Hey their cruiserpt,

Well, as for the offset, it depends on the wheels. Ideal wheel size would be 20" x 7.5 with either a 5 x 100 pattern, or blank so it can be drilled accordingly.

At a very mild drop like you are talking 20"s in back should be no problem, but the front is a 50/50 and would just come down to test fitting. Height wise it should work, but I would be concerned with it rubbing. All of the PT's I have seen or worked on that were rolling on 20"s were either at stock height or were on bags so clearance wasn't an issue. Here are a couple of examples of PT's tucking on 20"s via air ride.

Now you can go 19" and actually keep the same oveall diameter as stock spec. That is a fact, and ha been confirmed. In fact due to having the ability to retain its stock dimensions, I know that you can go 19" wheels and still pull off one of my full on custom 3" x 5" drop kits on custom springs and still have clearance. The reason I know is I had a Customer who demo'ed a set who had 19"s. Of course they are not tucking technically but the wheel gap is about as tight as it is going to get for sure! Here are a couple of pic's.

Before

After

And of course when discussing tucking, here is my my baby still unfortunately sitting on the good old stock 17"s for the moment while awaiting the funding for my 20"s at which point I am planning on shaving the lower body lip, and reconfiguring my suspension, and exhaust setup so I can lay the body all the way to the pavement with no problem when done.

This is as close of an example as I can find to where mine will sit. Like I say, my muffler and exhaust will be relocated, and lower body line shaved so I can lay flat out. Otherwise, this is the basic idea.

The only other way of tucking wheels on a PT is through modifying the wheel wells accordingly like my friend Tom has done here on his Panal he calls "Lil Blue".

So like I say, the offset will depend on the wheels you choose, and with the drop its really just going to come down to playing around with some different fitments and see what works. A good tire shop should be able to guess pretty close weather they can fit something up or not. The bigger obstacle might be finding a tire shop that might be willing to even consider, or have access to a 20" that will fit the PT. I had to go through about 8 shops before I even found one and that one was 60 miles away from me, and has to order blank wheels and drill them on site as nobody currently makes a 20" with the correct bolt pattern around here currently. The other thing is the liability of the shop should they put the 20"s on your stock PT which a lot of shops tend to shy away from as the oversize wheels carry a lot of added weight which increase stopping distance which generally means to do things right you need a larger braking system to slow the larger inertia of the bigger wheels down properly, it puts more strain on other components like an already known week transmission, hubs, axles, brakes, making a greater potential for braking something. On 20"s, your overall diameter has changed so your speedometer will either be non accurate or need re-calibration, along with several other things that need to be factored in to the equation make it a bit more difficult to get the project done. Not to say its impossible cause "Nothing is ever impossible, but in this case, its getting harder, and harder to cruise your PT into your local tire shop and find an assortment of 20" x 7.5 wheels, and a staff willing to work with them. Please note, this is in no way properly tuck wheels with a PT. Anyway, Should you have anymore quesruins or cimentr comments, please feel free to ask me anytime and i would be more than happy

I wish you the very best of luck on your project. As always, please let me know if I can be of any more help to you..

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 21 Sep 2010, 11:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: what off set to run with 20's?

Hi im running 20"x8.5" fooses with a 33 offset and air suspension. ive had the wheels fitted on a friends pt to see how they fit with about an inch drop all round and they were fine. as you can see on mine at full drop they tuck up in the rear and still sit under the lip on the front but its sitting on the inner arches at the moment as ive got another 1/2 left in the bags at the front and 1" in the rear when i get the guts to cut up the inner arches.

Old 22 Sep 2010, 01:47 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy View Post
I am still in love with those rims! I can just stare at that picture for DAAAAYS!
Old 22 Sep 2010, 01:51 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Hey their fluffy,

Digging the look so far, digging on the wheel choice, and can't wait to see the stance once you make a couple of minor alterations!

Just need to push the struts up about 2" to where the hood line is at, tub the rear and reconfigure a new rear end from tubing, and that thing would be sitting on the ground in no time! I know, its a bit nerve racking thinking about cutting into things but once its done the stance is pretty sick!

Too bad you aren't near me or I would be more than happy to do some trimming and maybe even have broken out my air brush and hooked up some kinda custom candy graphics work of some kind. A couple weeks with me and you would need to add an extra room in your house for all the trophies! LOL

Anywayz, again props on a way cool ride! Keep up the good work and can't wait to see how it comes together the more you do to it for sure!

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Old 22 Sep 2010, 01:59 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Whats the point of dropping the car so much? is it purely cosmetic? or a way to easily look custom? seems to be that it would make me nervous to be so low :/ I guess i just have so many potholes around me, thats all i can imagine hitting
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 07:43 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Hey their Freezinghot,

Yes, a lot of it is cosmetic although you can also adjust the amount of pressure you run in your bags at any given time, you can also adjust the stiffness, or softness of the ride quality as well so it serves a couple of different purposes. It doesn't stay sitting that low all the time. As long as your running an Air Ride System, you have the ability to adjust the ride height from the slammed look you see above to approximately 1" above original Stock Height so their is no ground clearance issues. Though the overall quality of this vid is kinda a bit crude, and my system has since been completely re-worked to drop all the way down, this will give you an idea of what I am talking about as it shows the Concept of adjustablity of the Air Ride System. Anyway, here is the Vid of my ride before tweaking which kinda gives you the concept of how it works somewhat. I am running smaller hose on purpose so that my ride goes up and down slow and smoth , but if you use just a little larger diameter line you can have it go up and down way fast on command. Anyways, just click on the pic below to see the vid.

That's what is making it possible for all these rides to tuck the larger wheels. Without the air ride, it just wouldn't work without doing a whole lot of heavy modification. Ah, what we crazed Lowriding PT'rs will do for just the right stance!

Last edited by Candyman; 22 Sep 2010 at 07:57 am.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 10:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Candyman i wish i was near you as i love the flames on yours. im thinking of taking the car off the road for the winter so if i can get it in the garage i will start cutting and see where we go. ive already put 3" blocks in the rear axle to bring the hub up like the one you have pics of so with the arches cut out it should be sitting like that hopefully but im thinking of swapping my bags on the front struts with the sleved bags as they seem to come up smaller when compressed and ive only got to find an extra 1" to get the front onto the ground with the 20s so that might work without all the cutting.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 03:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I suppose its just not my taste, I love low pts, but not quite that low, even though air ride is very convenient for practical use i would think.
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.