PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tires Rubbing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2010, 01:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Tires Rubbing

Hello,
I have a 2003 Cruiser. When I bought it, it had 2 different sized tires on it. 3 of them were 185"s and 1 of them was a 205.
So when I bought new tires, I bought 205's.

The front tires are rubbing on something. The coil springs I believe. Is there anything I can do other than buying new tires? The rubbing hasnt caused any damage. I have been rotating the tires often just to make sure I am not ready to have a blow out.

Any suggestions?
Old 27 Sep 2010, 02:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Tires Rubbing

Someone will chime in with a more definite answer, but i would just get new tires. I cant imagine an easier fix than that
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 03:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Unless you buy some spacers to push your wheels out a little, new tires are the way to go.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 04:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

You must have aftermarket wheels, I'm guessing, with very high offset. I have never heard of rubbing issues on a stock set-up nor have I heard of 185s on a PT.

What size wheels do you have? And if you can, post a pic of your set-up and we might be able to help you a little more.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 09:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to CreepyPT

185 is the stock size on my 15' wheels. I was warned if I went to 205s that I might have some rub issues, but there is a fellow in my area with 205s that says hes not had any problems. My guess is that the tires are too wide, or the offset on the wheels is wrong if they aren't stock wheels.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 09:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Well, it doesnt matter if his are stock are not, he still needs to tires to fix his problem
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 11:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

I must be missing something then because I thought all base models (including mine) came with P195/65R15s..

I hear you Freezinghot, the tires could be one case, but I'm leaning more towards the wheels that he has. Too high of an offset.

Either
1. Change the wheels with an offset no lower than 33

2. Get hub-centric spacers: 5mm-10mm should be sufficient.

3. As a last resort, change the tires back to 185s or 195s. I say this because you JUST bought those 205s and I feel you can go with a less expensive remedy.

As I said, give us more info so we can help you out or let us know what you decide to do. Good luck.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 11:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

No, i hear you
Old 28 Sep 2010, 07:01 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to CreepyPT

My bad, looked at my tires on the way home this morning, 195.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 11:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did consoder spacers. Of course my idea of spacers would be a couple flat washers. Probably not the correct thing. And I got the bigger tires because they were actually cheaper, and in stock. No one was carrying 185's at the time. Or 195's....whatever they were.
But even though they were cheaper, it was still costly enough that I cant run right out and buy new tires. I guess I could by the correct size for the front and run the wider ones on the back? That way I could at least get my money out of them.
But again, thanks everyone.