Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Coolest rims ever or what!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Oct 2010, 03:56 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Coolest rims ever or what!?

Pretty sure im in love. Anyone have em'?
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 02 Oct 2010, 06:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Coolest rims ever or what!?

Lots of PT's do, especially the 02 Gold Dream Cruisers.

Old 02 Oct 2010, 11:43 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Were only the dream cruisers the ones to get them? i guess ive just never noticed them . I saw that close up and love them
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 02 Oct 2010, 11:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm not sure. You might have had a choice if you ordered the car from scratch and wanted those particular wheels but I know all the Dreamers in 02 had them.

If you like them, have you ever seen the Empire wheels that came only on particular convertibles? They are 17 inch whereas I think the ones your like ar 16 inch. The Empire cam in Chrome or pained silver

Last edited by CREWZIN; 02 Oct 2010 at 11:55 am.
Old 02 Oct 2010, 03:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I like those too, just not too much on a pt. I have the chrome 04 limited ones and love them, but want some that look factory, but have thinner spokes.
Dont care much for those 17 inch ones, other than the fact that you dont see them often, which makes them a lot more cool in my book.
I think the main reason that i love the 17 inch ones is because of the center cap, really looks custom-factory , is that makes ANY sense....
Old 02 Oct 2010, 05:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sure I understand, everybody has their own opinion. I happen to like thicker spokes on the PT because it's a "chunky" type of body and I think the thinner spokes don't go along with the style. As I said, to each him own. You might be able to find the 02 Dream Cruiser wheels on eBay.

Here's one and it says 4 available.

2001-2010 PT CRUISER 16" CHROME WHEEL: eBay Motors (item 110516115088 end time Nov-01-10 13:19:50 PDT)
Old 02 Oct 2010, 08:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

do yur self a favor
steel is to heavy and rusts
carbon fiber chip and cost, and just plain break, they dont bend so easy

alum just dent over every other pot hole
get a steel hoop with a magnuisim center , best in weight, and in strength, and can be found to be reasonabe in cost
unless you found titanium, lol
i have mille miglia mags on my car
i love them,,
Old 03 Oct 2010, 01:30 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I live in texas, 0 rust. I live in fort worth, 0 potholes. Im at 130k miles without a dent in my factory rims, and i couldnt care less about weight. Im an oddity if you follow those facts of yours I wasnt looking to just get new rims anyways, if i would get any, it would be ones from another cruiser so that it still appears factory.
Old 03 Oct 2010, 06:03 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Coolest rims ever or what!?

Hey their Freezinghot,

Wheels are such a subjective thing. When it comes to custom wheels their are so many different thoughts and idea's on them, and what looks cool, that it is way hard to get two people to agree on any one look these days which is a good thing or we might see the same exact wheels on half the PT's out and about which would be pretty sad in my book. Especially when we already have a serious Parts dilemma where as most all custom PT's either have one of three front ends (PTeazer, Xenon Crusher, or Xenon Bruiser) and usually a PTeazer Roll Pan out back followed by some custom paint which is nice but the same parts over and over just seem to get a bit stale.

Just like with me, I know you as well as several other People really kinda like my stock GT Wheels I have on my PT at the moment, and honestly I think they look fairly decent as well, but by the same time since I don't drive my PT much at all, I really want to go for looks more than functionality as I try to show my PT more than anything which once you get to a certain point with a Show Car, you find yourself at a point where you want some things here and there which increase the coolness factor, look good, and might be fun to play with, but are not very practice or comfortable for daily use. I really want to go for a large wheel with skinny tire combo so I can get that wheel tucked up into the fender well look as much as possible. I know it might sound funny, nd totally understand as you don't tend to see this large wheel thing as much as you do around the So Cal area. I recon its more or less a kind of So Cal look or something.

The other problem I have with my stocker GT Wheels is that they are stock and a lot of other people are also running them so my wheels don't stand out all that much.

Though I want some big wheels for my PT one of these days when my budget allows, I also would like to try new things and dare to be a bit different as well. For example, here are a couple of things I have been kicking around in my head for some time now.

1. Steel hoop with a magnesium center which is a really nice combination to work with for me as I am looking at less tire on a larger overall diameter wheel so I am going to want that added strength. My big thing for me though is unlike a lot of people, I tend to think wheels look good polished and chromed, but also paint and powder coat can look pretty cool as well. For example, here is a wheel design I have been kicking around for some time now for my PT. I would most likely go for either a 19" x 20" Combo, or just go 20"s all around and then redo my suspension system around the new wheels to get the look I want. The design I have in this photo is of a wheel which would be either dipped, or wrapped and baked with a carbon fiber look over the steel hub, and then the face, and rear portion of the wheel would be powder coated in the same Candy Tangerine color to match my ride. Here is a pic of what I am talking about, and here again, it may not be what other people might find cool, but I kinda do, and think it might be cool to try something different. And to set it off, I was thinking of going with my Logo as a Center Cap Design which I also am thinking of having the design done up and then placed under the small piece of Plexi on both Emblems as new Custom Center Pieces for my ride as well to kinda give it that little extra touch. Here is the wheel, and my center cap logo under it.

Another thought I have had was to maybe just take my stock GT Wheels and have them custom powder coated to give them a new look which would be a mix of factory look with an updated fresh feel to them. At one time I was thinking of having my factory wheels powder coated in Black Chrome, and then mix up some black candy paint and give my door handles, door spears, and emblems the same look so that all the chrome on my car has a more tinted chrome look to it, and since its only around $60.00 or so to powder coat each wheel not including the tire dismount, and remounting of course, so you can get a full set of freshly reconditioned wheels for around the $240.00 mark which is way cheaper than looking at buying a new set of wheels by a long shot for sure. So there is another thought.

I also have thought about maybe looking up my frinds who work cutting wheels over at KMC to see if I might be able to work out a deal on a one off set of Billet Wheels cut specifically for my PT with the correct lug pattern, offset, Hub centric, with the correct offset to fit perfect for the look I want on my ride. I have loved Billet for a long time as all things nice and shiny are good things to me. The only downside to Billet is, depending on design, aluminum can bend fairly easy especially if you have a few more exposed areas that may render more vulnerable if you were to accidentally make contact with a pothole, or other hazard in the road. And the other thing about Billet is that it can oxidize quickly so it needs a good polishing every so often though instead of me polishing each wheel for 2-3 hours, they do have those new Powerballs by Mothers which really do work, and do a nice job way baster than by hand as a whole unless you are going for all out perfection at which point I will almost always do everything by hand just to be double sure I got it as close to perfect as I possibly could. Anyways, Billet is just another option. I also like the fact that if I were to make a one off set, I could opt to go deep dish even with the larger diameter which a large percentage of wheels in the bigger sizes tend to try to keep the face as close to the outer edge as possible for rigidity and strength which are not the case in Billet as its all cut from one piece. Two last things with Billet that should be considered, though Billet is fairly light weight, anytime you get into a 19" 20", or higher wheel diameter, your still talking a lot of weight that puts extra strain on brakes, trans, and more so anytime you want to kick around going larger wheels and do much more than just a show car, then it would be a good idea to look into potentially upgrading the braking system, and possibly changing out gear ratios as well to accommodate accordingly. You would be amazed how many people do not understand this, but it is important if you want the look but also want to drive your ride full time. And the last thing with Billet is it is expensive. Not the material as much, but the amount of labor involved as Billet Wheels are cut from large square chunks of solid Billet Aluminum which are specially cut on a CNC Machine which essentially runs a computer program and uses a specialized cutting tool to carve out a wheel in one piece no matter how intricate or complex the design which is pretty cool, and can allow you to really push the envelope of creativity a long ways for sure!

No matter what though, like I say, wheels are just one of those things where every one is going to have their own thoughts on the subject. Kinda the same with paint. If its done right, it can look outstanding, but if done poorly, it can kill even the coolest of rides in a heartbeat! Its also better at least in my personal experience to get out and see whats around instead of just looking Online as many Wheel Distributors tend to come and go pretty rapidly for one, and wheel line ups' so odds are if you might have found a wheel you like, it may no longer be in production anymore, and may not be available. My best advise is to take your time, look around and give it a good amount of serious thought. If you find a good wheel combination you really like, then I would sleep on it first to make sure that is what you want on your ride cause once you have made a firm decision, its way expensive to change your mind and want to go backwards, and like I say, the right wheels can make or break an otherwise way cool car design on any ride.

Anyways, sorry for the long post, but that's my two cents for what its worth.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 03 Oct 2010, 11:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Ive also heard about chrome blackening , i think its called that. But its the finish that will darken chrome rims. Any idea if that works? i wouldnt mind doing that to mine since my car is the graphite color, would probably look very good.
Duplicolor makes one, and i sure trust the brand, just not so much the product, i cant imagine it working well for only around 20$. I would be scared also of it starting to run or it going on uneven. These factory rims sure arent cheap, thats for sure. Had a wreck and to replace one of them it was somewhere around 250$