Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
front end suspension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Oct 2010, 07:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question front end suspension

so i have a 2003 pt cruiser basic....ive been good at keeping her in good shape with having an uncle who works for chrysler but he is 12 hours away and i need some advice.......on my front driver side wheel when driving i have a wooping sound and u can feel it through the floor board....what can this be and what do i need to replace? i also have a squeeking suspension when turning how do i fix this.....im not sure if anythings been changed or greased on it ive only had it for three years and am learning with every problem how to fix stuff.....your help your be very much apprectiated!!
Old 08 Oct 2010, 07:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: front end suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygms2005 View Post
i have a wooping sound and u can feel it through the floor board....what can this be

Have you looked under the car to see if you picked up something "live" while driving around.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 03:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: front end suspension

i may be a girl but heck give me some credit yes i have been under my car recently seeing as i just changed my own brakes and my own oil with in the last three weeks.............any ideas now?
Old 13 Oct 2010, 04:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry, never heard of anything making a wooping sound. There's so many things that can make sounds and vibrations that you can feel in the front end that it really needs to be put on a lift to see what's going on. Front wheel bearings, tie rod ends, struts, bushings, the brakes themselves, strut bar, ball joints. They will scrape, clunk, squeak, rattle, thump and bang but not woop.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 04:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Coop

Could even be the tire isn't balanced. I agree with Crewzin (the best person on here) to get it on a lift and looked at

Last edited by Coop; 13 Oct 2010 at 05:07 pm.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 05:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
I agree with freezinghot to get it on a lift and looked at
With who? When did he come into the conversation?
Old 13 Oct 2010, 05:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
With who? When did he come into the conversation?
O no!!! I edited for you

I was talking to him in a different thread. My bad!!!! I should just say "I was testing you"
Old 13 Oct 2010, 08:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Since you can feel it, I wonder if you don't have a CV Joint going bad. Check the boots and make sure they are not torn or cracked. If one is, the grease has disappeared and the joint is now operating dry, which quickly destroys them. I had this happen on another vehicle many years ago.
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 15 Oct 2010, 12:36 am
Regular Cruiser

I concurr with Gary, sounds like a CV axle/joint. Look if you can see grease on the CV boot. If you can see grease on the CV boot or surrounding area its like Gary said, joint has gone dry. The CV axles are very easy and cheap to have replaced
Old 10 Dec 2010, 08:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Never heard about that issue. but based on my experiences, vibration is due to imbalance wheel bearings. Sometimes they cracked and affect the hub. for the suspension, i recommend consulting a mechanic for it. that's a technical task if you do it on your own. that would be difficult for you especially if this is the first time you encountered this problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by cartech468; 08 Sep 2011 at 09:39 pm.