Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Winter tire recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Oct 2010, 06:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Winter tire recommendations

Apologies if there's already a thread but I've been unable to find it after hours of searching (and getting 'lost' in other threads.)

I'm wanting to put winter tires on my 2001 PT Cruiser Limited (no ABS) that will see very little winter driving in 'advanced warning' bad weather. However I live in snow country where the forecast changes hourly and there tends to be many road closures over the season so I need to be prepared for the worst. Any highway miles are all rural, with blowing snow, packed snow, and lots of ice either from the pavement freezing or the snow ploughs packing everything down. Town driving will be timed much better but I still expect the same conditions at a much slower speed. We're about 100 miles south of the permissible studded tire region so no studs.

My local Tirecraft dealer has recommended a current 'promotion' of GT Radial IcePro at a cost of about $600 installed (128x4 plus fees) which is on the high end of current winter tire promotions offered by other canadian tire places.

I am disabled, have limited mobility for walking or climbing out of ditches (oh my younger more vibrant years!) so I'm really needing to make a good choice on tires if I plan on driving this winter.

Thanks.
Old 04 Nov 2010, 02:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Winter tire recommendations

Not sure if you're still looking or not, but I purchased General Tire AltiMAX Arctics last year, around $89/ea if memory serves.
Old 04 Nov 2010, 03:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I can highly recommend Winterforce tires - have had terrific luck with them in Vermont winters. Best price is from TireRack.com - great service too!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....r&autoModClar=

Good luck, and think spring!!!
Old 04 Nov 2010, 04:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

33x12.5x17 would work---ok so no it wont but they are good tires

id say find something with some deep lugs and are self clearing we just dont get that much snow in Missouri but i have a set of tires with some deep tread on them but really if you put it in the ditch or slide it on the sholder you are still most likely stuck

Tags
winter tires