Senior Cruiser

Cool A Drop of Candy

More pics to follow
Old 09 Nov 2010, 10:24 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: A Drop of Candy

Hey their 808,

And another Candyfied PT makes its way out into the World riding low on my Candy Drop Springs!

Looking way cool my man, and I am so glad they were able to find a good Home, with someone who would really enjoy them.

I know it takes a little getting used to the stiffer ride, but it will get better as you get more comfortable with it.

My Springs were designed to have a bit more flex to them, but unfortunately, once you reach a certain level of drop, their just isn't much suspension travel which translates into a bit stiffer ride quality. Their is just not enough room to travel up and down to smooth things out. So you do wind up sacrificing some of your ride quality for the look, but once you get used to it, its really not that big of an issue.

Again man, your car is looking way sick now for sure, and I'll bet you get people checking out your ride all the time now!

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 10 Nov 2010, 04:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: A Drop of Candy

Thank you again, Candyman and reklaweelmada!

Transitioning from the Eibachs to the Candy Drop, I found that there was hardly any difference in height while sitting in the driver's seat. I was expecting to feel like I was sitting on the ground. Yeah, I do feel almost every bump in the road, but I don't drive fast enough to where I don't see road imperfections in time to cautiously avoid them. And plus, with only one main highway on this island, you're bound to memorize where potholes are!

Candyman, do you have any PT pictures of the other 3 sets?? I've been SO curious to see who else has them and how them look on their custom PTs.

Once more, shout outs to rek (who may not be visiting this forum anymore) and the ever-so-imaginative Candyman! Much mahalos from Kaua`i!!

I will get more pics up as soon as a clear weather and a day off collide with each other.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 07:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So what is this drop?

Looking for a little drop that wont affect my 235/40/18 but minimize that wheel well to tire gap

Looks great by the way 808!

Last edited by 04PT2FOUR; 11 Nov 2010 at 07:34 pm.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 08:07 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Hey their 04PT2FOUR,

Long story short, I way back when I wanted to drop my PT and level the body to minimize the wheel gap. At the time the Goldline Super Slammers were the lowest Kit available at 2.75" x 3.25" worth of drop. I was told this offset would cover leveling the body and work great for what I wanted to do.

Well, I got the Kit on and the back end still sat at a good 2" rake with significant wheel gap which really irked me to no end. Here is a pic.

So I went and got a hold of a good friend of mine who CAD Designs and custom fabricates race suspensions for off road Trophy Trucks, and we went and designed a one off custom set of Drop Springs to give my Ride a full 3" x 5" Drop which then fully leveled my ride at 4" body to ground, and 3.50" under front and back valances. Here's a pic of my springs after first install.

So the first major PT Event I went to I had a million questions as to how I got the back end to sit like it did, and after a ton of people hounding me I finally broke down and made 4 additional sets out of some custom Titanium Mix Material that my Buddy had gotten donated from his Employer, and the rest is History.

Now my good friend 808 has just installed my very last set of what have been come to be known as "Candy Drops"

I have now moved on to full air ride, and have redone that system a total of three times to which now I have relocated struts in front, and a full custom fabbed rear end to get it to sit as low as I could at the time though it will be getting its fourth and hopefully final revision fairly soon after I finally get my ride on 20"s and then rework and tub everything with the hope of getting as close as possible to laying my ride out flat on the rockers, or that's the plan anyway. In order to do what I want to do, I also am going to have to reconfigure my exhaust as well to allow for more clearance. We will see how it all works out. Here is where my Ride sits right at the moment.

And here is essentially where I want my Ride to sit after I am done. You will see why I am going to have to redo my exhaust in that last pic. The muffler hits and obstructs the body from that last 1/2" or so from laying out fully.

As for Springs right now, unfortunately your kind gonna be somewhat limited to just mild drop Kits from 1" - 2" Drops only as mine are all gone with no current plans to make any more, and the Goldline Super Slammers have apparently also been discontinued and are no longer available.

Anywayz, that's the lowdown on drop kits. If you need any additional info, please let me known anytime.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Last edited by Candyman; 11 Nov 2010 at 08:09 pm.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 08:18 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

And Hey their 808,

I am just glad your are settling into them a bit more. I know at first you had a few reservations about that much drop and rightfully so, but like i say, once you get more settled in and used to them they really aren't that bad as compared to a lot of other dropped rides I have driven over the years.

As for pix of more of my happy Customers, sadly I lost a ton of pix a while back after my hard drive crashed on me at which time I made the very true realization of why not start saving these things on disk!

I lost all the pix of of my ride in more depth while doing my paint work, and audio/video, and so on, and a most everything I did with my Spring adventure. I have been looking everywhere for either more old photo's, or even way old Contact Info I used to have sitting around which got burred someplace in my recent move, but if I can locate anything, I will be sure to let you know.

Old 12 Nov 2010, 02:44 am
Senior Cruiser

Thanks for the compliment 04PT2FOUR! Candyman pretty much answered your question and then some.

Yup Candyman,
I'll agree with you that I've felt som other slammed rides for sure. I've been in the passenger seat of some of my friends' cut spring Hondas and stuff, and it's just not pleasant, lol! I was afraid of that feeling but had more faith in the quality of the Candy Drop, so it helped give me the courage along with some good friends. Oh, and the Tokico Blues shocks and struts.

And I appreciate you letting me know about those pics. That totally sucks to have pictures full of memories lost!

Here's a couple more quickie shots I took the other day..I still haven't found a legit day for a shoot.

And the side-by-side comparison of the Candy Drop and Eibachs:

Old 12 Nov 2010, 05:26 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Hey their 808,

Thank you for the side shot! That's the one I am always curious to see, and now brings me to a quick question for ya. Do you by any chance know if the Shop trimmed your front bump stops at all, and if so by how much? More curious than anything as it looks at least from your pic that your front end is actually sitting a bit higher than it could be. With well trimmed bump stops you actually should be able to pick up enough drop to get down to within a good 1" or so from the tires. If you look at my pic's when I had my springs, I had mine set up so that I believe both the front and rear bump stops were trimmed in half, and we got the top of the tires on my 17"s to sit exactly at the tip of the wheel well in back, and within 1" of the inner wheel well in front. Cause of the extreme amount of drop, the wheels can only travel down so their is no chance of ever touching the inner fender even at that close of range.

I drove all the time on mine for the first four years I had mine and never had any issues ever. I wish I had a better pic to show ya, but here is where my sat at.

Just a quick thought if later or whenever you might want to try to squeeze a bit more drop out of your ride.

Anyways, your Ride is still looking way sick big time my man! Its always funny how after a short time having your PT dropped that far doesn't really have a whole lot of effect on you till you park next to another stock PT which looks like it just towers over you. You just wain, I have been trying to work out plans to visit Hawaii for a while now as this would be my official 50th State I have been to, and I just might have to pack my air brush on board, maybe do a little Island Hopping, and kick up some tribal flames or something one of these days. Ya never know!

Last edited by Candyman; 12 Nov 2010 at 05:35 am.
Old 13 Nov 2010, 01:18 am
Senior Cruiser

Talking Re: A Drop of Candy

Hey Candyman,

Thanks for that info!! I know for a fact the shop didn't cut the front bump stops at all because I did most of the installation. The shop I go to is mostly a DIY place, and the mechanics provide a stall, lift, tools, and assistance. They helped me whenever I needed them. I cut the rear bump stops but had no idea about the front! Lol. Ima have to pay them another visit! I thought I was seeing things when I noticed the front had a slight gap too. Sorry about that, I'll get you the final picture next week!

I know what you mean, now. Seeing other PTs on this island makes it look like they have a lift kit!

Hey, you've got my e-mail address. Whenever you wanna come down just let me know! I'll even give you a small tour of some of my favorite places while riding in my PT that has a ride you're no stranger to.
Old 19 Nov 2010, 04:46 am
Senior Cruiser

Still working it out...Here's another pic that I took after heavy rain.