Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
cutting factory springs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Nov 2010, 03:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default cutting factory springs

I have researched alot of different drop springs. I know the springs are set up handle a weight load however , everykit i see the ride will be raked

1. if I took one coil out of the front
2. if I took 1 1/2 coil out the rear

Should this level it out....

I want it to be a bit lower but not slammed.
Old 09 Nov 2010, 03:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: cutting factory springs

someone did it before, and after a few good bumps the coil got out of its mount, due to the fact that the coil that make contact on the supports is smaller and flat, so when you cut them the coil that will make contact will be larger and at an angle... so its not a really good idea

and will let candyman do its usual write up about springs, rake and suspension, his explantions will be clear and full of good informations about how to drop your pt the right way
Old 09 Nov 2010, 04:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Totally rice. The ride will be terrible. yaris is also correct so thst would suck. Lowering springs aren't that expensive.
Old 09 Nov 2010, 04:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

I bought my second hand PT cruiser with lower springs.
They even used a clamp, to lower the springs even more, and used thin tires, causing my speedometer to be off by a few mph.

I would not recommend it, because of harder driving, and because your bumper always get stuck between concrete *EDIT: (of the parkinglot logs)*. If I could do this again, I'd use the stock springs (or similar aftermarkets, perhaps use a lowering clamp on them, and use 17" wheelers (thin tires) under it.

Last edited by ProDigit; 09 Nov 2010 at 07:58 pm.
Old 09 Nov 2010, 04:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't do it! Period. Listen to the advice above. Save up and buy a set of springs. They're for sale on eBay and most of the forums cheaper than new.
Old 12 Nov 2010, 10:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to partyd

your pt is going to be jumping all over the road and in a few months you will have balls and flat spots on your tires

just buy a set of springs

DropZone lowering springs 00-02-03-04-05-06 PT Cruiser: eBay Motors (item 300476876146 end time Dec-03-10 20:15:55 PST)
2008 Chrysler Pacifica awd
Old 16 Nov 2010, 08:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you cut the stock springs, the cut end won't have a flat end.
Just put rear lowering springs in if you want to be level - 1.5 - 2" drop in rear makes it pretty level.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Nov 2010, 04:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

I cut the springs on my first car and thought i was the shiz...Then one day i was driving on the high when i heard a loud pop and the car had a nasty pull to it. When i checked it out about half of a coil had broken of the spring from were it was over stressed. I also would not recomend those cheap adjustable coilovers from ebay either. A buddy of mine had them and the spring mount broke completely off of one strut in the rear from the springs causing the car to ride like a hay wagon. I have a set of Dropzone 2" springs on my Ford Focus and they ride great, my buddy also has a set on his srt-4 and they also ride great.

92 Plymouth Laser RS- evoIII 16g, 650's, 190 walbro, SAFCII, AEM wideband, 2g MAF, 3in. TBE, 20PSI.

00 Ford Focus- Daily- 2.5in cbe, ebay sri,