Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I got drop springs but I have a question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Dec 2010, 03:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default I got drop springs but I have a question

I got a set of H&R springs off another pt cruiser site for 50 bucks plus the shipping. However I know there will still be rake to the rear end. Now I have heard so many conflicting stories on this. I know its a absolute no no on the front but if there is still bad rake how bad is it to take a coil out of the rear springs?
Old 04 Dec 2010, 03:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: I got drop springs but I have a question

You mean as in cut the springs? Oh, NEVER do that! I would not suggest that to anybody, even a Honda ricer! You'll never get them to ride correctly if you cut them.

As to the "rake", well, it depends on what coils you have. I have the H&R Sport Coils, here's what my car looks like and you tell me if there's a "rake" to it. Mind you, this is under throttle, so it's a bit more level I'd say than when standing idle...well, here, first one at throttle, second at idle. I love the stance from the H&R's better than any other springs.

To me, the H&R sport springs have the ideal stance, profile and ride for a PT GT Vert. Not sure about the sedan, but on my convertible, just perfect!
Old 04 Dec 2010, 04:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Bucksfan1976,

What are you doing asking the same question you did a little while ago? You had 10 people tell you it's a BAD idea to cut the springs.

Less than a month ago you started a thread asking about cutting the springs.

cutting factory springs

Last edited by CREWZIN; 04 Dec 2010 at 04:31 am.
Old 04 Dec 2010, 11:08 am
Regular Cruiser

my question was on cutting factory springs. This was a question about drop springs. but seeing the pictures above i know im good to go.

I believe they are the sport springs, i havent put them on yet, im doing this next weekend.
Old 06 Dec 2010, 02:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan1976 View Post
my question was on cutting factory springs. This was a question about drop springs. but seeing the pictures above i know im good to go.

I believe they are the sport springs, i havent put them on yet, im doing this next weekend.
Are the springs silver? Do you know what year they were made? Would answer the question on sports. The other H&R's that fit the PT's are hard to find, mostly you see the sport springs here.

Are you putting them on yourself? The rears are easy, total piece of cake, just make darned sure you mark the spring pads where the end tip of the original springs sit, and that when you install them, you install them in the proper facing direction and whatever you do, don't install them upside down! The spring rate, when upside down, will make your ass end hop way too much.

As to the fronts, they are damned dangerous to remove the old and install the new. You really need to compress the springs on the front struts before removing them. Pull the entire strut assembly out, then disassemble it while the springs are still compressed. When you put the new springs on the struts, they have to be compressed too. For a grin, we popped off the compression tool on one of the old springs and that spring hung from my friends shop roof for a couple of weeks before I could get there with a ladder on his lift tall enough to pull it out of the ceiling insulation. If you'd have your face over that spring when it popped off, you'd either be dead or needing a lot of reconstructive surgery! I did the rears and let my friend, the professional, do the struts. No way I was going to hack into that!

Lastly, you need to remember to trim the bump stops a bit or they will jar your teeth loose when you hit them. The fronts I trimmed about a inch off, the rears about an inch and a half. That inch and half was too much, my left rear tire digs into the splash guard in the fender well when I hit hard bumps...lol...

Last edited by Chromenut; 06 Dec 2010 at 02:33 am.