PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Noise From Driver's side tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Dec 2010, 01:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Noise From Driver's side tire

Hello all!

I have a 2001 Limited and in the last week I have begun to hear a thumping noise coming from the drivers side tire. At first it was a dull noise and would go away when I had my foot on the gas or brake pedal. After a couple of days, the noise has gotten much louder and now the steering wheel has begun to shake a little bit. Overall, the handling of the car hasn't gotten any worse, but the thumping is extremely loud now. I have a 30 mile drive home from work today and I am hoping that I make it ok!

Last night, I got under the car and checked it out and could find nothing loose, nor did the wheel seem to move at all when I fumbled with it. I would assume that this means, it is safe to drive but I am looking to get it repaired before driving it anymore after today. Any ideas on what this might be?

Thanks for any help.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 06:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Noise From Driver's side tire

Not sure what's causing your issue,but, if you live where it's cold and there is snow on the ground...it might be a build up of ice/snow on the wheel.
I just had the same issue, it was snowing here for 3 days non-stop I was plowing through all the snow in my driveway...it's 160 ft long; I had a worsening "wobble" in the steering for two days; I went for an oil change yesterday and then a car wash..problem gone! There was a lot of snow/ice jammed in behind one wheel.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 06:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You need to take the tire off for a good look. Like BladeRunner said you might have something built up in the tread which would throw it off balance. I wouldn't drive it to long without a good check.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 07:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Noise From Driver's side tire

ive had a belt break inside of the tire and would give about the same sound that you are hearing.take the tire off and roll it a short distance by hand and see if it has a bounce to it if it does take it to a tire dealer where you purchased it and let them look at
Old 11 Dec 2010, 10:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Noise From Driver's side tire

Slipped belt in the tire would be my #1 guess.
Had that happen one time years ago....different noises, or no noises at different speeds. A tire shop can run it up to speed and tell you.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 12 Dec 2010, 12:10 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner View Post
Not sure what's causing your issue,but, if you live where it's cold and there is snow on the ground...it might be a build up of ice/snow on the wheel....
Had same thing here beginning of the week, was build up inside wheel well. So bad that I was amusing myself on the way to work doing extended awwe sounds like at the dentist. It sounded like I was doing it into a fan the car was shaking so bad at highway speed. Luckily for me requirements on getting a drivers license depends on age not maturity. Had to use an window ice scraper to carve out the wheel wells and all was good on drive home.

Do post what your situation turned out to be cward.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 02:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the suggestions.

I feel kind of stupid now, but after posting this I went back out to have a look at the tire and I was missing a lug nut!

Luckily I replaced it and have had no problems since.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 10:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: Noise From Driver's side tire

Don't feel bad, I had the same thing happen the first year I put the OEMs back on for winter.
Actually, I had to buy a torque wrench to be sure they weren't JUST hand tightened.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!