Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
springs question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Dec 2010, 03:39 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default springs question

im putting my springs on and one side of the coil is more tightly wound on the rear which way is the right side up
Old 10 Dec 2010, 05:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: springs question

That is to control the rate of compression, as the rear wheel get's lifted towards the top of it's travel, the coils get tighter to slow that rate faster. Here's a pic from mine:

Remember, they are also directional, something most don't know. The way that you pulled the old out, did you mark where the start tip was located? That is the end of the coil. It faces a very specific direction and you should try to get as close to that as possible when installing new. My H&R's came with a "face front" sticker on them. All the labeing, as shown in the photo above, faces towards the tire on these so you can see all that stuff, but it also lines up the coil spring in the proper direction so that first coil, top and bottom, face the appropriate direction.

Last, if you're dropping your car, you may want to consider trimming your bump stops. I've suggested to others to test drive before cutting them, some drop kits, like the H&R Sports, don't drop far enough to really make a difference. I cut mine before installing, 1.5" off the back, and that was too much by about a half inch.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 06:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with Chromenut. I cut mu last bump stop on the Eibach Pro Kit springs.

As far as fitting them in, There just might be an indication on the flat part that the spring sits on that shows where the end of the spring should be. Sort of like a bump that would stop the spring from turning once in place.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 07:39 pm
Regular Cruiser

Well bc we were in a hurry and i didnt see any replied when we got there, we did the more compressed parts on the bottom. What kinda issues can happen and i will switch them later only have to undo the shocks

So also i was under the impression that they were the progress 1.4 in drop but I lost all my fender well gap. I did also find out i need a bearing lol...go figure

So i dont know how low it actually was.

Before front (nice summer clean ness)

After, crappy winter wether but you can see i lost all my wheel well gap this is the front

Last edited by bucksfan1976; 10 Dec 2010 at 07:47 pm.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 11:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The possibility exists, if you hit a really hard bump, that your springs will shoot out from under you. You've got the most spring rate compression at the bottom end now, so you're going to eff with the amount of vertical travel you have, and if they are not centered properly on that bar in the rear, well, I wouldn't want to follow too closely behind you!

By the way, were the springs used? If they are new, then just look at the printing on them. If it's upside down, well, there ya go. If they are made in Japan, they may be written diagonally. If they are made in China, the writing may be upside down anyways (China is on the other side of the planet), and if they are like mine, made in Germany, a big boobied frau comes with them and beats you until you get them in right. Good thing I had a friend install mine, I didn't want any beatings....

Last edited by Chromenut; 11 Dec 2010 at 11:59 pm.