Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
can't remove front studs from hub

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Dec 2010, 10:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default can't remove front studs from hub

There's no room for a stud to be backed out. There's a slot on the coverplate of the wheel bearing, but not enough room for a stud to be backed out. Am I missing something here?
Old 11 Dec 2010, 01:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: can't remove front studs from hub

I think there is a half circle cut out in the edge of the hub, just rotate to the stud you need to remove.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 11:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ron, you using a clamp tool to push it out, or just hammering on it? Just curious.... I never had any issues pulling mine out.
Old 12 Dec 2010, 10:37 am
Cool Cruiser

I'm about to change some of my studs too!
Silly system they are using!
Regular bolts are way stronger and better!
I've never seen them break on a car. Remarkable how quick they break on the PT.
Anyways, I got to change 2; would you recommend against using a hammer?
Old 12 Dec 2010, 04:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I wish I could find my stud set. I moved to a new house and they are in storage. If I find them, I'll be glad to loan them out to whomever needs them. I'll try looking this week, it's snowing now and I'm sick as a dog so not today....

These instructions are for all years and all models of the PT. You can use an offset C-Clamp, see the actual instructions here:

Now please, please follow the "international standard" for tightening your stud nuts! Some people may be new to this, but this has been around since the dawn of mankind. Tightening in a circular pattern can cause warpage to your wheels, can affect your alignment, and can add a burden to your wheel bearings. Use the "Star" pattern for tightening! I was taught this at I think 10 years old and have never forgotten, of course the application of my quite large father's hand against the back of my head for not doing this was a very helpful reminder....

This is all easy to find in the Service Manual. I said in earlier threads, if you need a copy in PDF, let me know!

Lastly, READ THE TORQUE VALUES AND USE THEM! And, DO NOT HAMMER ON YOUR STUDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The bearings are not the best on the planet, and you can not only affect the bearings but the bearing seats, by hammering on your studs.

Last edited by Chromenut; 12 Dec 2010 at 04:08 pm.
Old 12 Dec 2010, 07:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've always had no problem just tapping them out with a hammer (with a lugnut on it). I think I've figured out the problem. When Monroe Shop replaced the wheel bearing, I think they didn't bother to rotate the steel cover (thats right behind the hub rotor) to where it is supposed to be oriented. It's held on with 3 bolts that are equidistantly located. If (and ONLY IF) the slot that it provides is oriented toward the forward direction of hub, is there enough clearance to remove the stud out the back of the flange. Apparently, they just put the plate on without this in mind. Now those bolts can only be removed once you have the bearing (pressed) out, because the bolts are longer than the distance from the flange to the hub casting. If i cut off the stud short enough, it would come out, but I still wouldn't be able to insert the new one.

I think I only have about 2 options. Take it to Monroe and convince them they will replace the studs for no charge since they assembled it wrong. OR I could actually cut another slot (where it should be located) into that plate.

Hey, as always, THANKS FRIENDS FOR YOUR WISE ADVICE! (is really appreciated!)
Old 12 Dec 2010, 07:37 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwins3 View Post
I've always had no problem just tapping them out with a hammer (with a lugnut on it). I think I've figured out the problem. When Monroe Shop replaced the wheel bearing, I think they didn't bother to rotate the steel cover (thats right behind the hub rotor) to where it is supposed to be oriented. It's held on with 3 bolts that are equidistantly located. If (and ONLY IF) the slot that it provides is oriented toward the forward direction of hub, is there enough clearance to remove the stud out the back of the flange. Apparently, they just put the plate on without this in mind. Now those bolts can only be removed once you have the bearing (pressed) out, because the bolts are longer than the distance from the flange to the hub casting. If i cut off the stud short enough, it would come out, but I still wouldn't be able to insert the new one.

I think I only have about 2 options. Take it to Monroe and convince them they will replace the studs for no charge since they assembled it wrong. OR I could actually cut another slot (where it should be located) into that plate.

Hey, as always, THANKS FRIENDS FOR YOUR WISE ADVICE! (is really appreciated!)
I would take it back to Monroe and try to make them fix it for free.After all,it is their fault for not reassembling the hub properly.
Old 12 Dec 2010, 07:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You're right. I think I'll do just that (once I get this replacement alternator back in)! It's easier to change the generator on a "Huey" helicopter than to replace the alternator on the PT Cruiser>