PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front tires, how many miles do they last?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Dec 2010, 10:03 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Front tires, how many miles do they last?

The tires I bought have a threadwear of 40K, Nankang 215 40 R17.

I've been driving for about 600 miles, and found the front tires of my PT cruiser have already lost 1/3rd of their thread depth. The rear tires are almost as new.

I do feel my steeringwheel pulling to the right a little bit while driving slow. I'm afraid there's something wrong with the alignment.

Should I worry that my tires may last a good 1800-2000miles?

How many miles on average do you get out of your tires?
Old 12 Dec 2010, 10:22 am
Senior Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Front tires, how many miles do they last?

make sure that your tire pressure has not gone down if that not the problem take your cruiser back where you got the tires and have them rotated and have a front end alignment done and ask the mech. to look at the rest of the front end for anything else that might be the cause of the problem.

Last edited by mityqwik; 12 Dec 2010 at 10:26 am.
Old 12 Dec 2010, 06:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Front tires, how many miles do they last?

Many people don't realize with front wheel drive vehicles (most are these days) the tires need to be rotated more often than yrs ago before front drive was popular. If you think about it, the front tires are now doing double duty..traction AND steering.
I believe most manufactures recommend around 5K to rotate and balance the tires. That's how I do mine anyway, I buy my tires at Costco, they have lifetime rotate and balance.
Old 12 Dec 2010, 07:45 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Your tires should still look like new with only 600 miles on them.It sounds like you have an alignment problem.Did your car pull to either side before putting the new tires on?
Old 12 Dec 2010, 11:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
215 40 R17
That's some low pros for 17s!!
Old 13 Dec 2010, 04:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Indeed, and drives hard too!
Next tires will be a little bigger. I did not put them on there. The guy before me did.
The estimation of the thread wear is round about. I know near to the end of tire life (with less profile on them, they tend to last a little longer).

Does anyone using low profile tires experience a grinding sound from the tires when driving really slow, or standing still and rotating the steering wheel?

I have no experience with anything but regular tires, this is my first time I have low profile tires; I don't even know how the car would drive with regular tires on them.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 05:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Indeed, and drives hard too!
Next tires will be a little bigger. I did not put them on there. The guy before me did.
The estimation of the thread wear is round about. I know near to the end of tire life (with less profile on them, they tend to last a little longer).

Does anyone using low profile tires experience a grinding sound from the tires when driving really slow, or standing still and rotating the steering wheel?

I have no experience with anything but regular tires, this is my first time I have low profile tires; I don't even know how the car would drive with regular tires on them.
If it's the tires you'll see some form of wear on the inside sidewall. There is an issue with replacing the PT stock rims with aftermarket and not getting the offset correct, and many many people have gone out and spent hundreds on fancy wheels that wouldn't fit. The main concern is in the front with the tires/wheels clearing the calipers. Several friends of mine took out the grinder and cut down the corner of the calipers where the rubbed just so they could use their fancy wheels. If you're noticing a drag or grounding, it might be that. You can tell by looking at the face of the calipers closest to the wheel and see if you see wear indications.

As to scuffing your tires, that's a totally ridiculous amount of rubber to have worn off in so short a time/distance. I've got Falken Ziex-912's on mine and they last about 20k miles for me. That's mainly due to the amount of time on the track and how often I make my mountain road trips each year. So about every 12 to 18 months I'm replacing tires. I know that and one day I'll slow down but not any time soon!!

I would suggest you jack up the front end and drop off a tire to see what you're grinding. That could really be dangerous. Lastly, it might be front bearings, so before you take your wheel off, jack up the front end then give the tire a good shake, top to bottom. There shouldn't be hardly any play at all there. If you get any kind of wobble or play, your bearings need replacing.

Last edited by Chromenut; 13 Dec 2010 at 05:41 pm.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 05:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Oh, I just remembered something. The person who had the car before you, do you know if they ran "negative camber" on the fronts? You can stand back away from the PT about 40 feet, lay down on the ground and see if they appear sort of like this /--\ probably not that much but if they do run negative camber you should be able to see it, especially if it's affecting your tire wear.

When running negative camber you MUST pay very close attention to your alignment. If the toe is offset by the tiniest margin you'll experience rapid tire wear. I run mine with about 5 degrees of negative camber, helps out on the turns when I run the Blueridge and the mountain roads up in the Smokies (google Tail of the Dragon).
Old 13 Dec 2010, 06:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the suggestions!
The lower profile tires on the larger rims, actually have exactly the same outter diameter as the stock 16" wheel diameter.
The wheels are as vertical as they can get. |--|, not /--\ nor \--/.

Also I had checked out the tires and the mechanic said the CV joints where still in excellent condition (since that was a problem with my prev car).

I don't know much about the bearings (if they are the same as the CV joint, maybe a dumb question, but I know very little of cars). I'll probably have a check on it somewhere in the next 3-6 months, when I'm taking the car for a big checkup.

Two of the studs have broken off the wheels. The guy before me seemed to know quite something about cars (or about PT's); but I'll have the mechanic do a checkup on that too once he replaces the broken studs.

The grooves in the tires (thread) are not very deep (about 66-75% (at most) the depth of a penny). The front ones are now around half the diameter of a penny (roughly estimated).

Last edited by ProDigit; 13 Dec 2010 at 06:41 pm.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 08:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ok, I just let my wife play with the steeringwheel (turning left-right rapidly), and saw that the internal brake disk is rotating faster than the rim (can you imagine?)
It's as if the rim is loose on the disk(caliper); so probably you're right in saying that the rims don't fit...
I'll need further investigation. Like this it looks like the wheel is loose...

Tags
miles, tire, tire wear, tires, wear