PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Tire Pressure Recommendation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Dec 2010, 08:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Tire Pressure Recommendation?

Does anyone know who to follow for tire pressure recommendation, Chrysler Corporation or the tire manufacturer?

I have an '06 Touring Edition. In 08/08 at 33,809 miles I had to replace the original tires due to tread separation. I purchased the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred that have an 80,000 mile warranty. Recently the vehicle began to hydroplane on wet pavement and I no longer felt safe driving, so I took the vehicle to a Goodyear retailer to have the tires inspected. They found that the tires were worn in the center of the tread and needed to be replaced, they only had 25,865 miles on them. Goodyear gave me a pro-rated credit on the tires, but I still ended up spending $372 to replace a set of tires that should have lasted me over 6 years as I drive approximately 13,000/year. I purchased the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring which also have an 80,000 mile warranty.

I have always used the original stock size tire, P195/65R15. Per Chrysler, the Tire And Loading Information label on the drivers door pillar recommends 35psi, but Goodyear says to run 32psi. Who is correct? I have always maintained the tire pressure on the vehicle and have followed what the label says, 35psi. But I am concerned that the TripleTred tires wore out prematurely due to being overinflated and I don't want the same thing to happen to the new tires. So again, who do you believe, the tire experts or the vehicle manufacturer?
Old 12 Dec 2010, 08:51 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Tire Pressure Recommendation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Does anyone know who to follow for tire pressure recommendation, Chrysler Corporation or the tire manufacturer?

I have always used the original stock size tire, P195/65R15. Per Chrysler, the Tire And Loading Information label on the drivers door pillar recommends 35psi, but Goodyear says to run 32psi. Who is correct? I have always maintained the tire pressure on the vehicle and have followed what the label says, 35psi. But I am concerned that the TripleTred tires wore out prematurely due to being overinflated and I don't want the same thing to happen to the new tires. So again, who do you believe, the tire experts or the vehicle manufacturer?
Tire manufacturer usually states the maximum inflation that the particular tire can handle safely, Goodyear has no idea what vehicle the tire is mounted on. You are correct to follow the Chrysler "Tire and Loading Info Label" on the door pillar. Mounted tires should have a maximum inflation rating above what the Chrysler label recommends. The tires are to be cold when checked and inflated to proper pressure.
Old 12 Dec 2010, 09:13 pm
Young Cruiser

Here is a snippet and link from real tire experts, the tire manufacturer ... not tire salesperson.

Recommended Tire Pressure

If you don’t know the proper inflation air pressure for your tires, what do you do?

Easy. Check at one of the following places on your vehicle:

* In the vehicle owners manual.
* On the vehicle’s door jamb. (Often, a vehicle information placard is located on the door jamb along with the recommended tire inflation pressure.)
* Inside the fuel hatch filler flap. (In some vehicles.)
* The glove compartment door. (In some vehicles.)
o But NOT on the tire. The inflation pressure shown on the tire sidewall is only the maximum tire inflation pressure. In most situations, the vehicle manufacturers recommended tire inflation pressure is shown on the vehicle placard. However, on some older vehicles, the recommended pressure listed by your vehicle’s manufacturer may be shown as two numbers: One for city speed driving and normal load and one for highway speeds and/or maximum capacity vehicle load. Be sure to inflate your tires to the recommended inflation pressure for each type of driving situation.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 12:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
but I still ended up spending $372 to replace a set of tires that should have lasted me over 6 years as I drive approximately 13,000/year. I purchased the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring which also have an 80,000 mile warranty.
You really expect to get 78,000 miles on tires? Good luck....
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Dec 2010, 06:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

No I don't expect to get the full 80,000 miles that the tire is warranted for, that would be wishful thinking and there are too many other variables involved. But I also don't think that an 80,000 mile rated tire should wear out after less than 26,000 miles. But even the Goodyear rep said that where these tires were on wear that I should have about 70,000 miles on them.

But now I'm just more confused. Goodyear has now corrected themselves and state that the 35psi as recommended by Chrysler is the correct tire pressure for my vehicle.

But the Service Manager at my local Chrysler dealership says that in some cases it may be adviseable to reduce tire pressure by 2-3 pounds to improve ride comfort.

One issue may have been that the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tire is a directional tire, that it can only be rotated front to back on the same side of the vehicle, unless a person wanted to have them removed from the wheels, remounted and balanced to put them on the other side of the vehicle. My new tires, Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring are not directional and therefore a more traditional (X-pattern or forward-cross) rotation pattern can be used which should improve tire wear.

So 32psi or 35psi? I guess split the difference and hope for the best!

Last edited by rckstein; 15 Dec 2010 at 06:45 pm. Reason: Additional Info
Old 15 Dec 2010, 09:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Tire Pressure Recommendation?

36 psi warm here!

and ...QuickSilver 2.....the 2010 Couture Edition.
And....The 2005 Dream Cruiser Convertible....."My Chocolate Covered Cruiser".
Old 29 Dec 2010, 08:56 am
Administrator

how about size of tire?

should we adjust to higher pressure for larger rim, such as 17" rim, or stay with the same recommended pressure by Chrysler?

Old 29 Dec 2010, 10:06 am
Senior Cruiser

They don't call them "good year" for nothing. I bought my PT last February and it had brand new Good year tires on it and I estimate I will need to replace them by the end of next summer. So I'm thinking they were good for about 20-25k.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 29 Dec 2010, 12:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

...I'm just a blathering idiot...

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!

Last edited by Chromenut; 01 Jan 2011 at 04:42 am.
Old 29 Dec 2010, 01:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i have to agree that i have never had much luck with goodyear
i run coopers on my Pt and i have gotten as much as 75,000 on a set of there corba on my 2000 S10
i usaly go up 1 size or to the biggest i can run and still clear the wheel well but then most of my driving is highway at 70mph (or a tad more)

I go by what the TIRE says since like already said the tire does nto know what car it ismounted on