Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tire Size for a 2002PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Dec 2010, 10:57 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Tire Size for a 2002PT

I have the recommended stock sized tires on my 2002 PT, but hate the size of the sidewall profile, because of all of the wheel well that shows above the tires. I think 70 series tires would look alot better, however I am well aware that this is not recommended because it will screw up the calibration for your speedometer, for one thing.

I really don't want to go to the expense of changing out the springs for lowering springs to lessen the gap. Has anyone ever put 70-series tires on their PT and is there a way to recalibrate the speedometer to compensate for this? Are there any other major concerns or reasons why you wouldn't want to do this? I was just curious about this, and wondered if anyone could tell me what some of the other implications would be, other than the speedometer accuracy.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 16 Dec 2010, 07:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Tire Size for a 2002PT

I think the recal of your speedo will be a phenomenal waste of time. The variance is so small that it's almost not worth speaking of. I went wider, deeper, and taller on my PT and the difference is that my speedo is 2mp slow in it's indication. I found that with traveling a section of highway and doing a trace on my GPS to monitor the speed plus altitude. Because of altitude, air temp and tire temp, you need to try to reproduce what would be, for you, your daily driving experience, or if you're worried about getting tagged on the highway, then do like I did.

I took a drive for about a half hour to get her all warmed up, then ran a straight/flat section of highway with my cruise control set for 65 for 5 miles. Then coming back did the same thing with my cruise set at 75mph. Both ways tracked a log on my GPS.

Got home, dumped the logs onto my PC, and in both cases the speed indicated on the speedo was a tad over 2mph slower than the speed measured on my GPS.

Now, that's good enough for me, I think I can look at my speedo and add 2 to whatever speed I'm doing, and if I need accuracy I can always knock off a 2 when turning on my cruise. I think many of us concentrate on the minutia regarding this when it's not that big a deal.

You don't even need to go to the trouble that I did. If your GPS displays your speed, then set your cruise on a speed and just glance at the gps a few times. That will tell you if it's off. I can tell you that on factory tires/rims my PT was off anyway, it was 1mph fast. Go figure...