Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bumpstops

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Dec 2003, 03:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Bumpstops

I need some help and education on bumpstops. Basically, what is the purpose of them. I had always thought they were to stop your axle or tires from hitting the bottom-side of your car when you drive over a major bump or pothole. But then someone else told me they are there to prevent your shocks or struts from compressing all the way which could damage them. The reason I'm asking is I just recently installed an Eibach Pro-kit on my PT (02LE) but I didn't trim the bumpstops on the front or rear suspension.....Thanks, Erwin.
Old 04 Dec 2003, 03:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

i trimmed my bumpstops on the rear when my brother installed eibach springs.
03, onyx 5 speed, custom interior, 14 tv\'s, ps2, , custom stereo, hood, bruiser front, sides, roll pan, custom exhaust,20 inch rims, air ride system, 4 12inch subs in a molded in a box, member of del val and GROUNDED 4 LIFE. vertical doors, big ass ragtop roof, 10.5 inch screen in steering wheel, move window switches to glove box, glassed a tv where the switches were, smoothed dash and painted, led tailights, tv;s in quater panel windows

FRESH TWO TONE GREEN AND SILVER , SHAVED TAILIGHTS WITH LEDS IN THE ROLL PAN...
Old 04 Dec 2003, 03:23 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

They are to prevent your shocks/struts from compressing all the way. I trimed my front and rear bumpstops 2" when I lowered my PT 2".

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 04 Dec 2003, 04:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info everyone. But now I have another (stupid) question. The bumpstops for the front, are those the ones on the strut shaft that the Chilton manual refers to or are they located somewhere on the front frame???.....Oops, here's another stupid question, when trimming the rear bumpstop (which are shaped like the michelin man, right???) do you trim off the bottom or try removing them off the frame and trimming the top???.....Thanks again for the help, Erwin.
Old 04 Dec 2003, 04:10 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by erwinlg

Thanks for the info everyone. But now I have another (stupid) question. The bumpstops for the front, are those the ones on the strut shaft that the Chilton manual refers to or are they located somewhere on the front frame???.....Oops, here's another stupid question, when trimming the rear bumpstop (which are shaped like the michelin man, right???) do you trim off the bottom or try removing them off the frame and trimming the top???.....Thanks again for the help, Erwin.
Erwin, yes they are on the strut shaft, they are easy to cut with a razor knife of something similar. For the rear I left my bumpstops on the vehicle and just cut 2" off the bottom, like I said, they are easy to cut.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 04 Dec 2003, 05:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Again.....It looks like it's back to the tire shop for me, so they can take the strut/springs off again and cut the bumpstop for me (I'll do the rear myself). Unless someone out there can convince me that Eibachs don't need the bumpstops trimmed.....Erwin
Old 04 Dec 2003, 05:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

you have to trim the bumpstops with the eibachs, it makes the car ride better. thats just from personal experience
03, onyx 5 speed, custom interior, 14 tv\'s, ps2, , custom stereo, hood, bruiser front, sides, roll pan, custom exhaust,20 inch rims, air ride system, 4 12inch subs in a molded in a box, member of del val and GROUNDED 4 LIFE. vertical doors, big ass ragtop roof, 10.5 inch screen in steering wheel, move window switches to glove box, glassed a tv where the switches were, smoothed dash and painted, led tailights, tv;s in quater panel windows

FRESH TWO TONE GREEN AND SILVER , SHAVED TAILIGHTS WITH LEDS IN THE ROLL PAN...
Old 05 Dec 2003, 03:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, I lowered rear only about 1.5 - 2" (I forget which) and didn't trim the bumstops - I figured I could always do it later, haven't found a need to.[:I]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Dec 2003, 05:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

Well, I lowered rear only about 1.5 - 2" (I forget which) and didn't trim the bumstops - I figured I could always do it later, haven't found a need to.[:I]
Ive bottomed out ONCE and I never trimmed mine...and sometimes I drive like a fool (I should really be driving a rally car ).

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 23 Dec 2003, 10:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to McFadden

I also have Eibach springs installed and when I hit a small pot hole it like something is coming into the car. I will check the bump stops.