Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
18 X 9.5 wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2011, 05:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 18 X 9.5 wheels

whats up everyone i have a 06 pt cruiser currently sitting on 20X8.5 sport maxx wheels no rubbing or any difficulty what so ever but im in the market for some nice deep dish wheels and found some 18X9.5 just wanted to ask if any problems having this wheels on. My plans on the Pt is slamming it once i get this wheels Note: when i bought the 20's everyone said they were to big that they wont fit i even found some 22" wheels but not that big of a fan of big wheels on a 4cyl FWD please lmk if anyone has any of the deep dish wheels on their PT's redgardless if 18 X 8 - 8.5 - 9 - 9.5

Thanx everyone
Old 10 Jan 2011, 05:03 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: 18 X 9.5 wheels

Welcome to the forum.Not sure about the wheels but that sounds kind of wide for a PT.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 05:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBluePT View Post
Welcome to the forum.Not sure about the wheels but that sounds kind of wide for a PT.

yea buts thats the way i like them and thnx for the welcome man
Old 10 Jan 2011, 06:37 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

You got any pictures besides the little one in you avatar?We love pics on here.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 07:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBluePT View Post
You got any pictures besides the little one in you avatar?We love pics on here.
I got nothing but old ones when i was rolling on some 18's ill look for them and ill introduce myself with tons of pics
Old 11 Jan 2011, 05:03 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: 18 X 9.5 wheels

Hey their LilMan,

As far as wheels go, it is big time difficult to find a deep dish wheel that is Hub Centric, with the right offset and bolt pattern, and that will clear the brake calipers. If you do plan on slamming it I would stay away from anything over 8" max on width, and 19" max on height. At stock height its not an issue, but when dropping your PT, you will quickly find rubbing issues if your not careful in planning.

As far as suspension, it depends on how low you want to go, and how you want to get there. Here are a couple of options for dropping your PT.

1. Drop Spring: Drop Springs are the cheapest and easiest way to go. The only current issue is a Company by the name of Goldline used to sell the lowest commercially available Drop Spring Kit which gave a 2.75" x 3.25" called Super Slammers, but they have discontinued this line so they are quickly becoming next to impossible to find. Most Drop Spring Kits currently available only offer mild drops of 1" - 2" which okay for some, but I myself prefer to have a more serious drop or nothing. Just my preference. At any rate, most Drop Spring Kits will only run you around $150.00 - $250.00.

2. Coil Overs: Coil Overs are a bit more expensive and can run from $850.00 - $1200.00 but are adjustable allowing you to tweak your ride height accordingly.

3. Air Ride: Air Ride is the most expensive way to drop your Ride, but also allows you the most flexibility. You can adjust your ride height to whatever you want it from just barely off the tires to 1" higher than stock which then allows you to go as big as 20"s and still be able to drop it down for a decent look without the issues of rubbing and so forth. In addition with Air Ride, you have the ability to do some more advanced custom suspension reworking to get your Ride to lay out a bit lower like I have gone ahead and done to mine, though on mine I am not finished yet as I really want to relocate my exhaust up into the body, shave the bottom lip from the under body, and do some tweaking to get my PT to finally fully lay out flat on its rockers like the Mini Trucks do, but need to get me a set of 20"s so I can rework everything around them and get that ultimate tucking I want so bad. If you ever get to the point were you are kicking around going to air ride, and would like some more information on what all you might need or want to do a decent layout, please feel free to ask me any questions you may have anytime, and I would be more than happy to try to help guide you as best I can anytime.

You have most likely already seen these Pic's before around the Site, but just in case, here is my Ride as it sits at the moment.

And here is pretty close to where I want mine to sit. Notice why I need to relocate my exhaust. This guy is sitting directly on his muffler thus not able to completely drop all the way. Yes he is close, but its not all the way were I want mine to sit yet.

Another thing you might want to look into when choosing a drop would be to also look into upgrading your struts to the Tokico Blues. They are well worth the trouble to provide a better ride overall on most drop kits, and are highly praised, and recommended by most PT Owners.

One last bit of advice, Please never try to go and cut up either the stock OEM Springs, nor any Aftermarket Springs! This especially goes for the front springs for sure as they are under a significant amount of tension and if altered, the material can easily form hairline fractures in the material ultimately causing the Spring to fail, and for those who doubt this could ever happen, here is the aftermath of front spring failure. Notice the damage done to the Strut which literally bent.

The back Springs are not as critical as the front springs are, but can cause equally devastating results as the rear springs are essentially gravity loaded in which the springs are held in place using the vehicles weight. If you were to cut a section of the rear springs out, they more than likely will not seat properly in the lower brackets and may become dislodged whenever hitting a bump just right. The end result is the spring could become dislodged, at which point not only the spring can cause significant damage to the rear end of your PT, but if it were to happen, at least one corner of your PT would then suddenly and abruptly fall directly onto the tire throwing the car completely off balance easily causing a potential accident. In addition, if you were to use any kind of heat when cutting any type of Coil Spring, you are in fact softening the material causing it to lose much of its temper ultimately leading to spring failure in short order, not to mention that you would also have to be critically perfect with precise measurements or you could potentially throw the suspensions geometry off making your tires wear uneven, making the steering pull to one direction or the other, and potentially cause a dangerous situation for both you, and other motorists on the road. I have seen both front, and rear Springs fail a few times and the consistences sure as heck wasn't the safer of bets for sure!

So the key words are "Just Don't Do It, Ever!"

That is my take on the subject at hand anyways. If you ever have any more questions, I am always more than happy to try to help wherever I can anytime.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing

Last edited by Candyman; 11 Jan 2011 at 05:11 am.