Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tire Suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jan 2011, 02:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Tire Suggestions?

I'd like to replace the Good for a Year Eagles that came with my 2006 Touring Convertible. What brands and types of tires have you NA's had good luck with? I'm looking for ride and wear with good handling. Not really interested in a super handling tire that will only go 20,000 miles.

P205/55R-16

Santa's Sleigh - 2006 Touring Edition, Chrome Door Spears, Chrome Door Handle and Trunk Cups, 1950's Chrysler Grille Emblem, Engine Modesty Cover, Pin Striped Manifold, Chrome Washer Covers, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Gas Door, K&N Drop-in Filter, Chrome Exhaust Extention.

Old 11 Jan 2011, 04:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Tire Suggestions?

I just had Yokohoma AVID touring S put on mine, drove it to OK and back. I like them and they have 65K warranty on them.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 11 Jan 2011, 05:11 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Gosh Santa, don't you want snow tires??? (J/K)
Old 11 Jan 2011, 05:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hey Jac, haven't seen you in quite a long time, hope you are doing well! How's that sleek red sleigh of yours??

I run Falken Ziex-912's. They are intended to go beyond 45k miles, but not on my car, not with the way I drive. However, I just exercised the warranty on them and was totally shocked.

New, they cost around $104 each for my tire size, 225/50x17, I used to run them on my factory 16's and those cost $84 each. Just priced them last week. With only 3mm tread depth, at one year of service, my warranty covers $68/tire. I mean I was like, "wtf???". So my replacements are costing me $36 EACH!!!!

I've tried several other tires and not had much luck, something was always off. I haven't tried the Yoko Avid's, that was going to be my second choice.

If you compare them, and don't look at the Ziex-512's cause it's a more expensive tire with more road noise, you'll see that the Yoko and the 912 have a bit stiffer sidewall, some would say that may create a harsher ride, but if you go with a slightly taller tire, like your 55, you get a decent trade-off of more solid tire in the corners, but good on the long run and excellent over bumps.

For me it's almost impossible to tell you what the ride difference would be like in feel, as I dropped my car at the same time, but I can state they are WAY stickier in the corners and WAY less road noise than those BadYear tires...

I think the Yoko Avid's are a bit more expensive, but might last longer, I'm not sure...

oh, the price quotes from above, and the warranty, are from Discount Tire in Mooresville.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 05:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Oh, and Jac, someone left this note here for you...

OMG did he just do that? No, he didn't, did he???
Old 12 Jan 2011, 12:00 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I put Michelin Harmony (Passenger All-Season) tires on my 06 na and have been very satisfied with the ride. Good in rain and dry weather (car is a garage queen over winter!)
Old 12 Jan 2011, 09:17 am
Regular Cruiser

Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels

Give it a look. I'll have to check what we've got, some kind of Pirellie and they have had great wear and handling.
Old 14 Jan 2011, 07:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

I go along with chromenut as i have/had the Falkens. Decent priced tires that grip well wet or dry, less noise than those crappy good years. Tirerack/Discount tire usually has coupons floating around the web if you search

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/
Old 19 Jan 2011, 10:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Michelin. They are much more resistant to the heat buildup and I love the way they handle!

A satisfied Michelin driver since 1973.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 12:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Oh I'd go for the Michies too, if I could afford a new car! They are at least twice the cost of the Falkens, sorry, no thanx! I love them, just can't afford them. You get some of their S to Z rated tires...they are great! Only issue I ever had with them was their sorry warranty and they are almost too sticky and wear out very fast... well, the way I drive they do...lol