PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Grinding/rotating noise coming from left side of car when coming to a stop...help?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Apr 2011, 08:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Grinding/rotating noise coming from left side of car when coming to a stop...help?

I have an '06 cruiser, have had it for a year and of course it seems things are starting to go wrong now. A couple of weeks ago I noticed a grinding noise coming from the left front side when I abruptly smash on the breaks, I took my car to Midas and they checked my brakes and said they were fine and that it was the ABS that was making the grinding noise when I mashed the breaks kind of hard. But a couple of days ago I notice the sound coming when I hit the breaks but it doesnt do it everytime. However, tonight it makes the sound everytime I hit the breaks. My mom thinks it has something to do with the steering and my grandfather thinks it might be break pads but I would have thought that if my pads were going out the mechanic at Midas would have noticed and told me?...anyone have an idea what it could possibly be? I already have to have a new fan and a new front bumper I hope this isnt something too major...

Thanks for any help.
Old 10 Apr 2011, 08:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Grinding/rotating noise coming from left side of car when coming to a stop...help

well it sure sounds like brakes i guess some how it could be a wheel bearing but id have a different mech look at the breaks Im guessing you don't do your own work???? breaks are easy and actually pretty cheap to DIY
Old 10 Apr 2011, 08:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Grinding/rotating noise coming from left side of car when coming to a stop...help

I have to admit that I don't know too much about cars but my grandfather knows about cars and fixes breaks..unfortunately for me he only cares about his car and when I ask him about something he kind of shruggs it off. I kind of thought it was the breaks and then I was told the breaks were fine and dismissed it but there is definately something going on with the left side.

If it would be the wheel bearing, is that something that takes a lot of money to fix?
Old 10 Apr 2011, 08:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

As cruiserdad said, sure sounds like the brakes. I'd find another shop that does the checking for free (Meineke) and see what they say. Have the mechanic take it out for a ride.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.