PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

The best tires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2011, 08:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile The best tires

I am needing some new tires on my PT and we have on them now a Cooper 205/50z/r17. This was what was on it when bought. My pt is a 2003 turbo and was wanting to know if I should try another brand and can I change the size or does it have to be the same above?
Old 24 Apr 2011, 09:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: The best tires

I've used Kuhmo Ecta's with great success. Good grip/handling and provide a very forgiving ride.

Now running Hankook Evo Ventu's, and they handle even better than the Kuhmo's did. They're a tad bit quieter on the roads but they don't have as long of a life.

Here are pics of them when I first got them -

and here they are now on my current rims -

If you told us where you lived or more or less what the weather is like out there, we could give you a better recommendation on what tire to go with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Kawi is a friggin genius!
Old 24 Apr 2011, 11:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey2506 View Post
I am needing some new tires on my PT and we have on them now a Cooper 205/50z/r17. This was what was on it when bought. My pt is a 2003 turbo and was wanting to know if I should try another brand and can I change the size or does it have to be the same above?
Is your wheel a 17x7? If so I'd go with a wider tire, get a bit more meat on the ground. I was running Falken Ziex-912's on mine, 215/50x17's, but just put on a new set of Pirelli P6's in same size, and WAY better tire. Zero road noise, was just on the highway about 20 minutes ago, took a test run after doing some work and get her up to 105 before slowing down, very grippy tires, did two traffic circles in 2nd gear until I got the tires to sing, did a rolling start and couldn't believe I chirped in 2nd with my TCS on! Anyway, the P6's are the nicest tires I've had on my PT yet. I'm driving 10 hours to Florida this week so will really get to see how they hold up.

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!
Old 25 Apr 2011, 05:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I have Zexius tires on my srt. I'd put them up against any here. Keep in mind the srt is modded for both twisties and straights so I put it through the twisties a lot harder than my GT ever could. Quiet and wear very well, especially for what I sometimes put them through.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 09:27 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I have Continental Extreme Contact DWS on my two PT's and they are the best tire I had in my cars... great wet and dry traction and amazing on snow
also, I believe, they have a 50k mile tread life
Old 22 Sep 2011, 01:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey Guys, How about wheel recomendations for a 04 GT. The wifes car ....she wants a "softer ride". Any suggestions? Thx
Old 22 Sep 2011, 08:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It depends if you need all season traction for snow. I like my Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires. The first time I drove through a puddle at highway speed, the car didn't even pull to one side. The snow traction is also impressive. They are V rated and the price is reasonable.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 03:00 pm
Young Cruiser

I am very satisfied with my Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring tires. I am not very performance oriented, so a upscale tire was what I looked for. 80k mile tires that will not discolor at all. I have only needed to put that tire black stuff once. Wet/dry traction is great. My handling, stopping, steering,etc. improved with these tires over my old Eagle LS tires. And as the name states, the ride comfort improved dramatically. (Like riding on a cloud.) It looks like they make one in your size. (Pricey)

Goodyear

Good Luck

P.S. My second choice tire was the Goodyear Eagle GT (2)

Last edited by ClassicBQPT; 26 Sep 2011 at 03:04 pm.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 08:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

FYI, the Continentals blow away Goodyears. The car is much more predictable in all conditions.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 09:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by compdr59 View Post
FYI, the Continentals blow away Goodyears. The car is much more predictable in all conditions.
Uh, gee, everything blows away the GoodYears. They are a total POS....doh...

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!