Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
which to choose

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Dec 2003, 01:11 am
Cool Cruiser

Default which to choose

So i'm debating what to do go for a full air setup or just get lowering springs. I'm just not sure which would be better and the cost/space involved with an air bag setup. Basicly what i want to get is the stance of pt chix ride[:X]. I'm not looking to bounce the car, but i think it would be cool to have something i can raise/lower, drop the rear etc. [8]

I'd just like to get some pros and cons of each system and recommendations on mfg, etc.

I'm also planning to put 18"s all the way around

I have a base model 2003 electic blue pt
thanks,
Dave
Old 22 Dec 2003, 09:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Only negatives to air ride are cost and complexity. On one forum a fellow who put his own air ride in was frequently having problems with fittings leaking,etc. Springs are MUCH cheaper and simpler, but can't be varied.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Dec 2003, 10:30 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Another option would be a coil over system.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 25 Dec 2003, 04:41 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Rolo

I do not want to go that low (I do not think, anyway), but I am liking the KW's so far...adjustable and look solid; I just cannot seem to find them anywhere.

Does not the PT CHIX ride have larger wheels? (20's I thought, but I do not know the tire size, so they may be the same diameter as stock)
Old 25 Dec 2003, 07:26 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rolo

I do not want to go that low (I do not think, anyway), but I am liking the KW's so far...adjustable and look solid; I just cannot seem to find them anywhere.

Does not the PT CHIX ride have larger wheels? (20's I thought, but I do not know the tire size, so they may be the same diameter as stock)
PT CHIX runs 18x8 on the front and 20x8.5 on the rear.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 25 Dec 2003, 07:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

GO with an air ride set up.. you can't go wrong.. If you can install lowering springs then you can install an air ride suspension.. Air Ride tech makes the cleanest set up out there straight bolt in application.. Running the air lines and making sure that all cuts are clean (no jagged cuts)is the most time consuming part of the install.. tapping into a 12v source is all that is needed for the compressor.. If you lived in my home town (Beaverton, Oregon) I would be willing to help with the install.. I was like you as well, I went through 2 sets of springs trying to find that right stance.. Decided to go with Air Ride.. amazed at how simple the install was.. I even did some custom stuff and still easy.. Just mapped out my air line path, took my time on the install, and away I went. ALthough my system consist of cylinders up front, bags in the rear, I am pushing Air ride tech beacuase it is a great system to go with. The cylinders that I went with gave me more drop for my particular application..
Good Luck. Kevin
Old 26 Dec 2003, 11:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

pt chix car looks awesome !! i know a guy who has the air ride set up he loves it!! good luck!!
Old 26 Dec 2003, 03:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

When I get to the point that my ride is lowered, I will only do it with Air Ride. I agree fully with Kevin, plus I want the ability to raise the Cruiser up when riding on the streets. At this point lowering just isn't in my budget.[8D]

Don aka Basset Hound

Pics at: http://members4.clubphoto.com/don284358/
Old 28 Dec 2003, 04:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Rolo

I think yours looks good the way that it is, Don. Lowering it may break up the theme you got goin' on there.