PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
stock chrome wheels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Dec 2003, 10:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default stock chrome wheels...

Hi,

I just bought a 2001 PT Cruiser, and I noticed that the rims were EXTREAMLY corroded on the inside. Has anyone else had this happen? The front, chrome plated part is in mint condition, however. The car was from Texas, so it should never have seen road salt or any such stuff as that.
Are these rims really just that cheap?? Or is this a bad set of rims?? Does anyone know what I can do? This car is going to be my winter car, so I need these rims fixed before I can start driving it, since I live in Michigan, and go to school in Ohio.

Thanks, Matt
Old 23 Dec 2003, 12:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Aluminum will oxidize and get a white pitted coating. Mine are like that. Unlike rust, aluminum oxidation doesn't eat up the metal - it forms a coating, that's it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Dec 2003, 01:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

quicksilverdon -

Are you then saying that you are just leave your rims how they are then? Mine are oxidized just like you said. I know it doesnt HURT the wheels any, but it sure doesnt look good. This is just my daily driver, but I still would like the wheels to look nice.

Would it be worth my while to sand the inside down? Or just knock of the chrome plating that is pealing from the inside of the wheel?? Thanks,
Matt

Past Mopars:
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible GT
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible
2001 PT Cruiser Limited Edition
1993 Plymouth Sundance/Duster 3.0 litre
Old 23 Dec 2003, 06:29 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Opps, sorry matt87951, I forgot to welcome you to the forum.. anyway Welcome to the forum, it's one of the best around!

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 23 Dec 2003, 07:53 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Rolo

Use a brass bristle brush and some wheel cleaner to get the corrosion off of bare aluminum; if they are chrome, you may want to use nylon if it is that bad. You may try #0000 steel wool and polish. You want to use the least amount of abrasives necessary. Finally, use some chemical (non-abrasive) chrome polish to shine it.

Most people neglect their wheels and only lightly wash the surface as an afterthought. I spend as much or more time on the wheels as I do on the rest of the car. (Ratty old sneakers will still make an Armani look like crap.)

I use brake dust cleaner EVERY wash (weekly) to ensure no buildup or corrosion. I also scrub and rinse with a sheepskin mit behind the spokes. It is a pain, but it keeps the WHOLE wheel looking sharp. Use a mit or your hands will look like you were roughousing with a cat, and those "wheel brushes" do not let you get behind the spokes and they are far to abrasive for my tastes.

Old 23 Dec 2003, 10:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by matt87951

quicksilverdon -

Are you then saying that you are just leave your rims how they are then? Mine are oxidized just like you said. I know it doesnt HURT the wheels any, but it sure doesnt look good. This is just my daily driver, but I still would like the wheels to look nice.

Would it be worth my while to sand the inside down? Or just knock of the chrome plating that is pealing from the inside of the wheel?? Thanks,
Matt
I thought you meant the backside (hidden) of the wheels. That's what's with mine - only see it when I take a wheel off. If you do clean them off, be sure and put lots of wax on, or it'll come right back.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles