PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
clunking noise from the rear end

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jun 2011, 03:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default clunking noise from the rear end

02 limited auto
When I first got this car it had a noise coming from the rear end.... I tracked it to the "watts link connector" And I changed it... I didnt have any noise for a month or 2. Now It has developed a noise that comes from the back, but it sounds different. It is more of a clunking noise. It only makes it when I am making a turn, and most of the time it will only make it the first time I make a turn in that direction. If I turn right it wont make it again untill I turn left. I cant seem to track this noise down. If I get underneath of it and try to shake the car it dosent make it. It will make it going fast or slow, and the noise is always the same. any ideas????
Old 02 Jun 2011, 09:18 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: clunking noise from the rear end

Wheel bearing comes to mind. Could be something in the break drum. Spring maybe. Just tossing those out there. Wiggle the new watts link, hate to think it could be the replacement part but it's possible.
Old 03 Jun 2011, 12:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

it could be your bell crank, mine has the same problem and its my bell crank, i ordered the part from the states for 28$ and im installing it this weekend
Old 03 Jun 2011, 07:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

which part is the bell crank??? These things have some weird names for the parts in the rear end..
If it was a wheel bearing wouldnt there be play when you grabed a hold of the wheel and shook it??? (with it off the ground of course)
Old 04 Jun 2011, 08:22 pm
Young Cruiser

The watts link and bell crank are the same part, just two different names. I just replaced mine too. I bought the part from rockauto and they have it listed under both names.

As far as your noise, I would check the sway bar bushings. The bushings that secure the bar to the rear end as well as the bushings in the links from the bar to the body. It sounds like something is shifting when the weight of the car moves from side to side.

Thats my idea, but what do I know. I cant find the annoying rattle comming from the back of my PT and its driving me nuts!
Old 04 Jun 2011, 09:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You sure it's got a rear sway???
Old 06 Jun 2011, 09:55 pm
Young Cruiser

Dont they all have rear sway bars? I have an 02 base model and mine has one.
Old 06 Jun 2011, 10:27 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Only 01-02 had rear sway bars...the engineers dropped them after that
Old 07 Jun 2011, 11:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeepgo View Post
I cant find the annoying rattle comming from the back of my PT and its driving me nuts!
I had one too, and on a tip from forums, I replaced rear brake pads - the clips on the brake of the pads corroeded off and allowed the pads to rattle - the test is to ride the brake going over a bump - if the noise goes away, it's pads.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Jun 2011, 09:19 pm
Young Cruiser

I'll give it a try in the morning. I was thinking about that during one of my commutes. I rode the parking brake a little and still heard the noise. Maybe I'll pull the drums of this weekend just to check everything out with the brakes and to make sure the rear wheel bearings are adjusted right.