Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
sways in the wind

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Dec 2003, 05:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default sways in the wind

What cause's a car, any car to sway from side to side like the wind is blowing? but no wind is blowing? Worn springs? shocks/struts?

maybe this should this be in the non-PT forum?
Old 29 Dec 2003, 06:05 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Sounds like springs and/or shocks/struts are worn out. If the car has a leaf spring in the rear that could be shot also. Try this, on each corner of your car push down hard and let go. First, you should feel good resistance when you push down, second, the corner your pushing on should rebound back to normal height. If it oscillates up and down before returning to normal height your shocks are no good.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 29 Dec 2003, 08:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by IRPT

Sounds like springs and/or shocks/struts and worn out. If the car has a leaf spring in the rear that could be shot also. Try this, on each corner of your car push down hard and let go. First, you should feel good resistance when you push down, second, the corner your pushing on should rebound back to normal height. If it oscillates up and down before returning to normal height your shocks are no good.
Correct.
Also check tire pressure - if very low, causes "mushiness".

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Dec 2003, 09:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

tires wearing unevenly??
Old 29 Dec 2003, 11:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

car does not overly? bounce up and down when pushing on corners or going over speedbumps, in dips ect...

tire pressure is at spec & wearing evenly (at least for a car w/234K on it LMAO!)

For those that can remember try and picture this. Your old family Chevy Caprice Classic Station wagon loaded up for vacation. You are cruisin down the hiway at say 75mph and need to change lanes. You turn the wheel slightly to move to the next lane. 2 seconds later the car decides to start it's lane change. Before the car actually gets to where you want it, you counter steer to stop the station wagon from swaying all over the road. (sorry i was bored)

I never had a car with worn coil springs (i don't think) so i am wondering if this is a symtom of those. How about bushings? No rattling as if something is loose or worn either.
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 30 Dec 2003, 12:13 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Still sounds like worn out shocks/struts.

Mercedes Wiki
Old 30 Dec 2003, 01:51 am
Senior Cruiser

has the car always done this?
where their ruts in the road?

also with just a slight wind, my pt cruiser at 120km is all over the lane....

one other thing to check is the wheel weights ( I had a car where a weight fell of, lets just say at higway speeds the car handled like crap)

Old 31 Dec 2003, 12:24 am
Senior Cruiser

it's not my cruiser but you notice it most at hiway speed.
no ruts
no shimmy or shake & tracks straight
I thought if the shocks/struts were bad it would bounce excessivly?

it's my old hoopdie w/234k on it. I may sell it anyways. I sure would like to have that LaBaron that was for sale a while back
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 31 Dec 2003, 01:48 am
Dedicated Cruiser

One way to find out is to take one shock off, see if you can push it down with your hand easily. If you can it's shot!

Mercedes Wiki
Old 31 Dec 2003, 03:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

"Chevy Caprice Classic Station wagon loaded up for vacation. You are cruisin down the hiway at say 75mph and need to change lanes. You turn the wheel slightly to move to the next lane. 2 seconds later the car decides to start it's lane change. Before the car actually gets to where you want it, you counter steer to stop the station wagon from swaying all over the road"

i remember those days!!