Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Sway Bar Endlink configuration?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jun 2011, 12:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Sway Bar Endlink configuration?

I just replaced the lower control arm on the drivers side of my 04 PT this past weekend and am getting a loud "clunk" when I go over anything large, like a speedbump or pothole.

I also replaced the swaybar end links and am thinking that maybe I didn't get them on correctly. I used a Moog set of bushing and endlinks, which were different than the factory set. The endlink bolt is really long and there are 4 bushings, 4 washers and a small metal bushing.

The way that I have it now, is, from the bottom:

bolt (pointing up, through the control arm) - washer - bushing - sway bar - bushing x2 - washer - control arm (with metal bushing through it on the bolt) - bushing - washer - nut on top.

Does this sound correct? It just seems like the sway bar is low compared to how it was with the factory setup.

If anyone has a picture of thier setup, that would be great too.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 14 Jun 2011, 12:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Sway Bar Endlink configuration?

Post a picture of your own setup as well.

I need to do my lower control arms sometime and it'd help others to have a look at how things are/aren't supposed to look like.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 08:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Sway Bar Endlink configuration?

Okay, so this is what mines looks like now and I KNOW that it's not supposed to be like this. Hopefully seeing this will help someone else NOT repeat my mistakes.

When I got home today I took the wheel off and put it on jack stands, but while moving the jack around trying to work the suspension up and down to find the "clunk", I got the jack on the end of the sway bar by mistake and voila, I found the problem.

The sway bar end links that I bought last year (MOOG), have a really long bolt through the middle and the bushings/washers stack on the bolt. Well, when I got them all setup to approximate the factory angles and all, and tightened the nut onto the bolt, everything tightend okay and seemed cool. But what I didn't notice was that the bolt was only threaded an inch or so from the end and I was actually tightening the washer down against the part of the bolt where it gets thicker and there are no threads (Hope that makes sense). So, the nut wasn't anywhere near being tight enough on the bushings themselves, which was letting the end of the sway bar flop up and down. I never had a problem until I installed the new control arm this weekend, and realized that maybe it wasn't the control arm all by itself, making the noise.

When the car sits with the weight on it, the sway bar is sitting nice and tight against the bottom of the control arm, but when the weight of the car goes upward, such as over a speed bump or the arm goes downward, such as in a pothole, the swar bar kinda hangs for a second and then drops down against the control arm, causing the "clunk". Kinda like Wile E. Coyote when he runs off a cliff, he hangs there a second before he splats in the canyon.

I gues I'm off to the dealership tomorrow morning to price out the end link kits and get sticker shock. The last thing I bought from the dealership was the Watts Link and it was around $90. I just saw them on the Autozone site for $42 the other day. But, I'd rather get the correct part and do the labor once (more), then to try an aftermarket kit and end up doing it several more times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sway Bar.jpg (84.7 KB, 83 views)