PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
tire size help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jan 2004, 01:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default tire size help

[:I] ok what does the numbers stand for. 235,240 ,245, does that have

to do with the tire height. And what about the 50 60 have to do with the width.

now if i put 18's on what would make the wheel well fill up better. It is lowered 2 " what i"m looking for is the bigger tire to give it that full look.
Old 02 Jan 2004, 01:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Check it out cruiser12

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/size.htm

Old 02 Jan 2004, 10:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

cruiser12,
If you put the 235's on the front it will mess up the Computer and it wont allow the car to run right and the mileage will be off and the transmission will not change correctly it goes on and on and on..... basicly see the previous posts on tire sizing.

On the front I have 205/60r15's which is the same circumference as the originals. The Cruiser is a front wheel drive and all of the computer system and drive train is at the front. The back tires I have 235/60r15's, since they are just tracking wheels and nothing is connected to them I have had no problems with using the bigger tires.
I bought 15" wheels so I could get a taller sidewall on the tires. Just don't like the lowprofile look.
[?]still wheelin'
Old 02 Jan 2004, 11:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm running 225/35-19's on all 4 corners, speedometer has not been affected.. Going with a
The first set of # is the width in mm, second set is the sidewall hiegth, and of course the last # is the wheel size...225/35/19
larger diameter in the rear only becomes an issue if you have ABS.. There is a certain %window that you can fall into and not have your ABS be affected..ex. lets say a 225/35-19 in the front and a 235/35-20 in rear, overall difference is less that 2" or 2% so it will be OK.. Cruiser looking at your pics it is safe to say that you don't have 4 wheel disk and ABS..

Old 03 Jan 2004, 11:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The tire rack link explains it best. I just want to add that a low aspect ratio (second number) is great for handling (in dry weather), makes for a poorer ride (less tire between you & the road). If you do snow driving a higher aspect ratio is better ("skinnier" tire cuts thru snow better). A low aspect ratio tire is also more prone to hydroplaning in rain than a higher aspect ratio tire.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles