Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
BTG vs Eibach Springs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jan 2004, 03:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default BTG vs Eibach Springs

Have read many posts about lowering springs and think I have it narrowed down to BTG or Eibach, but have several questions / concerns:
1. Will ride quality suffer too much for daily commuter with either set?
2. Am I in constant danger of scraping the front end?
3. Have read posts of scraping or rubbing (bottoming out?) rear tires with 4 adults in car?
4. Occasionally have need to haul 160-200 lbs of bagged salt...will this present any problems?
5. Last... BTG pricing is very aggressive/tempting ($140), so are Eibachs that much better?

Any and all input / experiences appreciated. Thanks
Old 08 Jan 2004, 03:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'm in the same boat as far as deciding between the BTG and
Eibach springs. I'm leaning towards the Eibachs since I can
get a package deal of Koni shocks/struts and Eibach Pro-kit
springs from www.shox.com for $649.

Paul
Old 08 Jan 2004, 08:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Depends on how low you go. I lowered rear only - either 1.5 or 2" (I forget), so my answers are thus qualified:
1) No
2) Yes - it's another reason I did rear only, besides, I didn't like the "Butt in the air" look.
3) Yes - but not that much worse than stock, and only over sharp bumps taken too fast.
4) SHouldn't - I hauled a back full of firewood (back seats folded & tumbled) with now problem - I'd estimate 350 pounds.
5) Dunno. I have "redline" - they're just springs.

if you do "slammer" spings (3" drop) expect more grief.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Jan 2004, 12:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

i have eibach in my cruiser. i don't bottom out with 4 adults in my car. my subwoofers and both my amps don't drag my car down. i scrub my front once and awhile coming out of driveways thast are steep. i have scrubbed my exhaust once going over a speed bump due to me not slowing down.
03, onyx 5 speed, custom interior, 14 tv\'s, ps2, , custom stereo, hood, bruiser front, sides, roll pan, custom exhaust,20 inch rims, air ride system, 4 12inch subs in a molded in a box, member of del val and GROUNDED 4 LIFE. vertical doors, big ass ragtop roof, 10.5 inch screen in steering wheel, move window switches to glove box, glassed a tv where the switches were, smoothed dash and painted, led tailights, tv;s in quater panel windows

FRESH TWO TONE GREEN AND SILVER , SHAVED TAILIGHTS WITH LEDS IN THE ROLL PAN...
Old 08 Jan 2004, 01:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm leaning toward Suspension techniques springs. I'm looking for better handling with minimal lowering (don't want to be a snow plow in the winter). They lower 1.3 inches front & rear. They should work well with the Koni shocks....
Old 08 Jan 2004, 01:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have Eibach springs front and rear and it is by far the best mod that I have done. Lowering helps in a couple of ways:1. the stance of the car is way better visually, less distance from tire to fender opening, closer to the ground all around, the rake is reduced some because Eibachs lower the rear end more and 2. handling is improved because the car corners flatter.
The ride is a little stiffer but you can feel the road better.They are progressive springs, they get stiffer as the load gets heavier, I have had four adults in the car with no problem (and one of them was a 300 pounder). Once in a while a speed bump or a steep road or driveway transition can present a challenge but one soon learns how to handle them. All in all, as I said earlier,The best mod that I have made by far.
Old 08 Jan 2004, 09:16 pm
Young Cruiser

My PT has the BTG springs. I don't know about quality, maybe they are almost same as Eibach. But, BTG drops the front more than the back, so the slope is still there, but anyway I like that better than for it to be "flat". I think for scraping front and bottom and having 4 adults, main thing is to learn to drive into the driveways and around the bumps then it is not a big problem. At first I scraped a lot in front and hit the bottom, but now I got used to it so it doesn't happen too much except when I'm driving too fast!
Old 09 Jan 2004, 01:52 am
Young Cruiser

...I lower cars every day at my shop and have changed the suspension on every vehicle (84 cars and trucks to date) that I have owned over the last 35 years. I went with the whole BTG suspension (springs, shocks and struts) and I have yet to find any thing close to the quality of this stuff. The Cruiser now does what it looks it should be doing already! No bottoming, no creeks, no rubbing.. and the ride IMPROVED 50%.. they fit right and look right. I run the car up to the speed limiter (130 MPH) at Nashville Speedway often, before I tried it and was white nuckled after 95 mph now I drive it at the limiter with one hand. God I'll be glad when the limiter is gone, I really do think a modified turbo cruiser has a pretty good top end. The shocks and struts are made shorter for the lowered springs. If you don't change struts and shocks all you got is a lower car actually handling worse than it was, it appears to improve cause it's stiffer... not more controlled!. Most don't realize but if you take the original rake out of the car you ruin the turn in on the front suspension, makes front wheel drive handle much worse. A set of sway bars are in the works made by the same company and will be ready soon I understand...I promised I would not reveal the manufacturer of this stuff and I won't. But I also installed hub-centric wheel spacers front and rear for a much better look and compounded the already fabulous driving improvement. Do a little research and think... the same manufacturer also made the spacers, it will be easy to figure out. The whole kit was branded with the manufacturer name (not BTG) when they arrived and it had their part numbers also. I wish BTG gave me the parts for pushing 'em... they don't, I would still buy BTG if they were much more expensive. Just giving some solid feed back on this subject....
Old 09 Jan 2004, 02:20 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I used Eibach's. had them on my 01. With stock struts, you'll find more suspension travel, which is why you may want to consider getting stiffer shocks. I have stock struts, but later added the rear and front eibach sways. I am much more satisfied with this.
Koni's are in the future.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 09 Jan 2004, 03:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by earringboy

... But I also installed hub-centric wheel spacers front and rear for a much better look and compounded the already fabulous driving improvement. Do a little research and think... the same manufacturer also made the spacers, it will be easy to figure out.
Earringboy, I'm looking into installing some spacers on my car. What thickness did you put on yours???...So far the MFG that made spacers for the PT that I found was H&R, but they only had 1" spacers avail., I need thinner ones. I have so many questions to ask.....