PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Replacing Inner Tie Rods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2011, 07:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Replacing Inner Tie Rods

I tried looking around the forums and couldn't find anything that helps, so I figured I'd ask. I'm having to replace the inner and outer tie rod ends. After a great deal of struggling (nothing had been touched on this suspension since it pulled outta the factory), I got the tie rod ends to come off, yes i marked the position on the tie rod itself. Now I'm staring at the tie rod itself i think (it has a boot on it.) My question is how the freak am i supposed to get this boot off so i can install the new rod? I can't pull the boot off, nor can i push it back to expose the bulb on the rod. the rod will just spin and spin with no signs of letting go. Any ideas?
Old 27 Sep 2011, 10:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing Inner Tie Rods

There's generally flats on the inner tie rod nut.
The boot is generally held on by tie strap on inner part, and a spring clamp on the outer.
This is what the Neon has, i doubt the PT is any different.
Old 28 Sep 2011, 03:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

just went through both the parts catalogs and the service manual and it's not even mentioned!!!

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!
Old 28 Sep 2011, 06:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yea I tore my haynes manual apart looking for something about this part.... all it mentions in the tie rod end, not the actual rod itself. Luckily I watched a couple videos on youtube that helped. Apparently the tie strap on the inner boot is not one that is saved after it is removed. You have to destroy the tie strap and use something like a zip tie on it. Should be fun!!
Old 28 Sep 2011, 01:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

yes in order to reuse the boot, which you must, you have to destroy the metal band clamp that holds it on. A zip tie will probably hold the boot in place, I used worm clamps on mine as I had some laying around that fit...
1990 Chevy 454SS
1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 01 Oct 2011, 01:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Agreed. Destroy the metal clamps. Which is fun with the rack in the car, but doable. Once both clamps gone, pull straight outwards toward the tires and the boot will pop off. I hope you have the tool for this, I'll link it in a bit, because there are NO flats, the inner tre is completely round. The special tool is about $30ish if I recall. I have one in my closet you can borrow if it comes to that, with a promise to return and you pay all shipping.

Use blue loctite and no need to align inners just get em in tight with the tool. Put the boot back on filled with wheel bearing grease, and put new screw type clamps on. Put outers on threaded back close to how they came out, and go get an alignment pronto.

Remember the castle nut should have a cotter pin, lots of aligbment shops *forget* to put them back in.
Old 26 Nov 2013, 02:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I know I am late to the conversation here. However, I am in the process of replacing the tie rod for my 2005 PT Cruiser.

I do not have access to a special tool to remove the factory Tie Rod and I spent a week trying to figure out how I was going to remove it. Finally, I figured out that I was able to drop a medium sized monkey wrench down beside the engine and manipulate the throat around the ball of the tie rod. I can then fit a pipe over the handle of the monkey wrench and get just enough movement to start the tie rod loose. Of course I only need to replace the passenger side. It had bent when the passenger side outer tie rod snapped.

I have not tried to see if there is enough room to do this on the drivers side.

All I know is that removing the factory tie rod is a Pain. The new Moog one went in very nicely however.

What I am wondering is how others deal with the boot? A 1/2" Stainless worm clamp is too wide for it. Of course the factory clamp is designed to be destroyed on removal. I am not confident that a Zip Tie will keep moisture and particles out. Has anyone else had any problems with Zip Ties?