Advertisements
Coilovers, anyone?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Dec 2011, 02:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Coilovers, anyone?

Hi guys

I just installed a 2" kit on my 2003. I know it will drop some more after a while, but I am thinking of installing coilovers to get a real drop.

Is there any pictures of PTs with coilovers online? I havent found any.
It seems like "everone" is going for springs or bags. I want it low, but I live in Norway and do not want bags on my daily.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 02:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Coilovers, anyone?

Yeah, maybe a handful of members or 2 have installed coilovers here. Sorry, I can't precisely recall their names. Have you done a search on here or Google? I don't think the ones made for our PTs have a big drop.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 04:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree with 808, I don't think you'll find many coilovers that offer more than a 2" drop. And what you've got on there, you should not see more than 1/4" added drop over time, unless your springs are crap.

Eibach makes a set, the Pro Street S coilovers, but they are around $1200 USD for the set. The drop is 1.6 - 2.8" front, 1.2 - 2" rear. Going to have you arse way up in the air with those. They are a really good set, but most people I've met only use the coilover struts and find others for the rear. Must say they are well made, stainless steel dampers, really well made frames, nice adjustable coils (adjusting ain't that easy once they are installed though).

Andy's Auto Parts has them on the cheap for just over $1000 USD. Not a bad price for the set. Andy's also has Tein's that fit the PT, however just the struts and they need to have a top mount manufactured for them before you can install them (and a pair is $1500).

Andy's is also one of the few places you are going to find in the US carrying the H&R Coilovers ($1264 for set of 4). Now you'll find they also sell a cheapo H&R set for around $750 called their "Touring" series, don't get near them. Add to it, the drop is way less than what you want.

Now, all the coilover sets I've seen so far have a max rear drop of 2". Unless you go with springs separate, like I did, you're not going to find many with a lower drop. Since you are in Norway (Jeg er en gammel fjert), and H&R's started in Germany (where I bought mine - the German made H&R's are made of larger coil material), then you might find them cheaper going through H&R in Germany. And yes, I speak some Norwegian, mainly Swedish (27 years of working with Ericsson, Inc.).

You can check out all the listings at Andy's, they pretty much will show you the manufacturers that make them for the PT. They have KW's ($1500 a set) and Suspension Techniques ($875 made in Cali, no specs though), but if it were me, I'd be going H&R. Just looking at their products, you can see how much more oomph they are going to have, they just look tougher than any others I've seen offered for the PT. Eibach's or H&R, only way I'd go for coilovers. JMO.

Last edited by Chromenut; 28 Dec 2011 at 04:22 pm.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 04:28 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanx guys!

The kits I have been looking at is the ones from KW and Weitec.
Both kits give a 70mm drop front and 50mm drop rear. I have been using KWs on earlier non-PT cars and they drop more than what is says on the paper.

I am running 18x9" wheels (with a LOT of tire stretch) on the PT and think a 70+/50 drop will be perfect. I want the car to sit low in the front.

Chromenut, you old fart! =) Thanks for the laugh
Old 28 Dec 2011, 04:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You are are welcome! Those kits I listed, they are almost all 70/50mm drops. I'm not familiar with the Weitec's, but used to run KW's on my older car. They are just too expensive imo. I do have to say, while I'm running H&R coils with Tokico Blues shocks/struts, I do really like the H&R's. They are the best springs I've ever used.

Yes, I'm an olde farte!!! LMAO.... (gammal fis)

My favorite word in Swedish = skitsnack
Can't find a translation into Norwegian for that...lol....
Old 28 Dec 2011, 04:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Damn good write-up, Chromenut! I made the most vague statement and you turned it into a Wikipedia, lol!

What size tires you running on those 18s, btw? And what are the offsets? Damn curious cuz I've been looking into the same wheel setup.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 04:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808 View Post
Damn good write-up, Chromenut! I made the most vague statement and you turned it into a Wikipedia, lol!
Old 28 Dec 2011, 04:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

chromie your just a man of many talents.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 04:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Talking Re: Coilovers, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Once again! Except this time you SEXIFIED my statement! Lmao!
Old 28 Dec 2011, 05:07 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

FYI you can get an extra 1/2 of drop at the rear if you remove the adjusting nut