Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front struts question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jan 2012, 12:35 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Front struts question

I recently had the front struts replaced on my 2001 NA cruiser. Since then I have had a clunking noise from the right front. Taking the car back to the shop, they have looked at it and said they need to replace the inner fenderwell as the aftermarket springs are larger. I asked them why the left side is not a problem and why, if as they say, there is no damage to the inner fenderwell and the replacement will be an exact duplicate, that this will fix the noise. They are going to get back to me on that.

Has anyone had any problems with aftermarket struts? I think they are Monroe.

Thanks

Last edited by ptal; 06 Jan 2012 at 12:36 pm. Reason: Disable email notification - should be default
Old 06 Jan 2012, 12:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Front struts question

If you replaced the struts, why on earth are the spring(s) bigger? Did you replace the original springs with after market ones? If not, the original springs should have been put back on the strut and nothing should be hitting anything. I think this place you took it to doesn't know what they are doing and are taking you for a ride. Get another opinion, you probably just need an adjustment on the way they put everything back together.

P.S. If you edit your profile, the email notification will be a default.
Old 06 Jan 2012, 12:51 pm
Young Cruiser

They used the Monroe strut assemby that has the mount, strut, springs, etc already put together.
Old 06 Jan 2012, 12:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You didn't say that before. Whatever, one side shouldn't be larger than the other and the springs shouldn't be larger than the OEM springs that they took off. Watch them carefully and don't pay for anything else.
Old 06 Jan 2012, 01:27 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

This is why many of us do it themselves or find mechanics through referrals.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 06 Jan 2012, 01:59 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptal View Post
They used the Monroe strut assemby that has the mount, strut, springs, etc already put together.
I call Bullshite on this one. I swapped the front struts on my '07 TC using the Monroe Strut Pack and there has been NO problems.

Sounds like they missed the boat here and did not check the LCA or did not tighten up the knuckle to strut bolts enough.

I used a floor jack to raise my hub assembly up to mee the strut and then when all was good tightened up the top 3 nuts and installed new camber bolts at the tube to knuckle connection.
Old 06 Jan 2012, 04:05 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Why would you use a Monroe Quick Strut assy? Your OEM springs were bad? because I see a lot of people having problems with it, specially because they are longer ( that's because they are new ) and now they are wider...and then you can't align it correctly
Old 06 Jan 2012, 04:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I put H&R's over Tokico Blues, and the H&R's are much larger than factory. The one's I ordered come from Germany and have a different size coil than the American version. All that and I don't have any noises at all. There really must be something wrong with that installation.
Old 06 Jan 2012, 05:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Sounds like typical mechanic excuses to me. Heard plenty and that sounds like someone is trying to get more money out of you. Both sides would be the same not just rubbing on one. Problem will more than likely be with the squashy thing that installed it as opposed to the squashy spring on the car.
Old 06 Jan 2012, 05:51 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
Why would you use a Monroe Quick Strut assy? Your OEM springs were bad? because I see a lot of people having problems with it, specially because they are longer ( that's because they are new ) and now they are wider...and then you can't align it correctly
I expect they went this way to reduce how much labor they needed to do. I took it in originally to have them look at a noise I was having over bumps in the front right. I was expecting the lower control arms, but they called and said they replaced the struts. The noise did not go away, in fact it was louder, so I took it back and they then said the lower control arms were bad. I did stop in and look at them while they had the car on the lift and they were bad. Unfortunately, replacing them did not change the noise. I am not impressed with this but this is the first time there has been a problem with them servicing my car in the last 11 years - not that there has been a lot of service needed by the car.