Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Suspension noise - this one really has me baffled

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jan 2012, 06:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Suspension noise - this one really has me baffled

Hi folks. Got a prob with my 05 conv. turbo. About a month ago I was hearing bearing noise, so I took it in and the shop replaced the drivers side bearing. Problem solved only then I was hearing on the passenger side. Back to the shop to get the passenger side done. I was still hearing the noise. I knew it was still the passenger side because when I steered to the right the noise would go away. My first thought was the shop didn't replace the passenger side bearing. So on the weekend I replaced the passenger side myself and personally pressed the new bearing. (the shop did put a new bearing in that side, but I changed it just to make sure). Still have the bearing noise??? Next I rotated the tires, front to back (tires are fairly new with less than 5000 on them). Still have the noise. Checked the rear bearings. No problems there. I have looked at the half shafts and they look fine. I would have lost money on this one because I wouldve bet that it was a bearing, as that is exactly what it sounds like. I have had it up on jackstands and ran the suspension without the wheels on it and just can't find the issue. The next step is to replace the lower a-arms (the rear bushings are looking a little ragged) and get it aligned. If that doesn't do it I don't know what else to do and I really hate taking it to the Mopar dealer Any suggestions?
Old 15 Jan 2012, 06:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Suspension noise - this one really has me baffled

Under the rubber boots on each side you have the CV joints with plenty of gears and a little dirt from a tear in the boot will cause almost the same kind of noise as the bearing.

Old 15 Jan 2012, 06:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaigood View Post
Hi folks. Got a prob with my 05 conv. turbo. About a month ago I was hearing bearing noise, so I took it in and the shop replaced the drivers side bearing. Problem solved only then I was hearing on the passenger side. Back to the shop to get the passenger side done. I was still hearing the noise. I knew it was still the passenger side because when I steered to the right the noise would go away. My first thought was the shop didn't replace the passenger side bearing. So on the weekend I replaced the passenger side myself and personally pressed the new bearing. (the shop did put a new bearing in that side, but I changed it just to make sure). Still have the bearing noise??? Next I rotated the tires, front to back (tires are fairly new with less than 5000 on them). Still have the noise. Checked the rear bearings. No problems there. I have looked at the half shafts and they look fine. I would have lost money on this one because I wouldve bet that it was a bearing, as that is exactly what it sounds like. I have had it up on jackstands and ran the suspension without the wheels on it and just can't find the issue. The next step is to replace the lower a-arms (the rear bushings are looking a little ragged) and get it aligned. If that doesn't do it I don't know what else to do and I really hate taking it to the Mopar dealer Any suggestions?

Have you looked at th break pads? Rotors? Are the shims broke in half?

SOLD-----K&N FIPK CAI, MSD wires, NGK plugs
03 Dream Cruiser series 2 #1489,5sp
k&N FIPK CAI, MSD 8MM wires, NGK iridium plugs, oil catch can, AGP wastegate, Mopar BOV,Mopar Boost Gauge,Stage 1 injectors,DSP Sport tuner,VSR Anima 18" wheels, Kelly 225-40-18 tires, 3" cat delete downpipe, APS SS dual exhaust.

Now owner of a black CSRT stage 1.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 06:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

The cv joints are certainly suspect, i just have never heard one sound like a wheel bearing. The noise is tied to road speed so that would be on the list. I just dont understand why unloading the pass side would make the sound fade out as you increase the turn? It is baffling.
I replaced both brake pads when we did the bearings.
Do you think that it could be alignment. I would think that I would be seeing tire wear if that was the case.
Thanks for the replys!
Old 28 Jan 2012, 04:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You have bearings in the transaxle. Your axle inner shaft plug right through them. they turn at road speed! Also what about rear bearings? Just a thought.

One other thought. Flaking rust on the rotors can build up and rub caliper bracket & can be affected by turning. Really I had it happen. Look for rub marks on bracket or caliper were nothing should be touching