Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wheel Size

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jan 2012, 11:10 am
Young Cruiser

Question Wheel Size

Any recommendations as to what is a good size wheel to move up to? I donít want to affect the odo, but I need to get rid of these crappy factory wheels and tires. Also, should I take care of the wheels/tires or suspension first? Iím looking at installing a lowering kit with front and rear sway bars. All comments gratefully received.
Play Up Pompey!
Old 24 Jan 2012, 11:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Wheel Size

You need to tell us what your starting with and what you intensions are. The PT isn't bad as a street cruiser/tourer so are you wanting to take off ramps at full speed, joining a street racer club or just upgrading the looks. Base models mostly came with 15 inch wheels, Touring and Limited Editions had 16 inch and the GT's had 17 inch wheels. A lot of us went with Tokico struts ans shocks when adding the lowering kit. They're made for lowered vehicles.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 24 Jan 2012 at 11:33 am.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 11:40 am
Young Cruiser

Its a 2003 base model and Im just looking to upgrade it for looks, handling and performance to some degree. So, while keeping the overall diameter of the wheels w/tires roughly the same (+ 1-2"), I want to increase wheel size and lower tire thickness. I am a complete nooby when it comes to rims so forgive my ignorance.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 12:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's a link to Tire Rack and how to Plus Size the wheels and tires. Basically, you go up 1 or 2 sizes in wheel size and and go for a thinner aspect ratio on the tire so you keep the same outside dimensions of the tire. The speedometer basically stays the same.

Tire Tech Information - Plus Size Wheels and Tires

When adding the lowering kit, your probably going to need a 4 wheel alignment. The PT needs a $30 kit which consists of two newer bolts that go through the bottom hole of the front struts and helps in the alignment. You can keep the same struts and shocks but the ride will suffer (hard over bumps) so as I said, a lot of us went for Tokico replacements, but there's other brands that say they do the same thing.

With a base model, I'm not sure but yo probably will want to add front and rear strut bars and maybe an upper strut bar to help in handling.

You might want to go through the Wheels,Tires and Suspension part of the forum and look at all the threads that pertain to what yo want to do.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 05:19 pm
Banned

What I did is look on here at the stance of various PT cruisers on here.

There are some that are lowered

only on the rear
front and rear mildly
Front and rear moderately
Slammed
Bagged

Probably a few more variatons in there. Think about rubbing, do you want to deal with tire rubs, scrapes, etc.

Think about the area where you live, is it hilly, currby, slopey, etc.

Think about the weather, does it rain alot, snow?

Also you need to factor in the cost. What is the year vehicle you are doing this to? How many years of reliable ownership will it provide? My 06 only has 20k miles on it so its cost effective. Had it had 120k I wouldnt do it, for example

The lower you go, the more that will need to be replaced, struts, shocks etc

It makes no sense to add an expensive system to something that wont be around long.

Both of ours are lowered to different levels.

Look at what you like, and ask away

Good luck
Old 27 Jan 2012, 05:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Busa always has good points. Because I lowered mine, when I went with new wheels/tires I went 17x7 on the wheels, 235/55x17 on the tires. My objective was to fill that gap that you see around the tire well by lowering the car, then get a little more meat on the ground with a wider wheel/tire. At the same time I didn't want to cause the ride to be much more painful, and while it's not as soft as it was, it definitely isn't as stiff as many lowered vehicles on low profile tires are.

Busa's suggestion is great - there are so many options that it's best to figure out what your goal is first, then work your way towards it with a logical setup.

This photo shows my ride pretty well - lowered but still decent clearance, stance is pretty close to being level, handles and corners like it's on rails.

Old 28 Jan 2012, 12:55 am
Banned

If I am not mistaken, Chromenut uses the H&R springs, the same that my wifes Pt Cruiser is. She is running stock stocks/struts

I wanted a bit more so I went to Eibach's. Also got the front and rear sway bars to go with the springs. It sits about an inch lower than my wifes in the front and maybe 1/2 an inch on the rear. I changed out my struts and shocks to KYB.

My wife and I both run 18 inchers, 235 40 Zr 18's.

Its all up to you and your wallet
Old 28 Jan 2012, 03:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Stock size on pt are this 195/65/15, 205/55/16 , 205/50/17 all will fit your car without spedo isues. Tag in your door will show the first two sizes. The last is stock on gt models.
Old 20 Feb 2012, 03:18 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks guys you've given me a lot to think about. I want to go for a tad lower than Chromenut, but donít want to end up with rubber on the underside of my arches if you know what I mean. I have some wicked back roads here in Louisiana and want to take full advantage of them in the spring/summer. @Busa; is that the Eibach Pro-plus kit you have on yours? I am really tempted to go for that with some 17". Thoughts?
Silver '03 NA, K&N Gen 2 Cold Air Intake, Borla Cat back 2.25 dual out, 18" Gunmetal Drag DR-19's , 225/40 ZR18, Tokico Blue shocks and struts with Eibach Pro springs. Soon (money and wife permitting) PTeazer front fascia w/ retro grill, power cowl hood and rear rollpan. In the back of my mind: Kenne Bell Optimizer II (If I can find one).