Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
04 bumpy ride

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Feb 2012, 11:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 04 bumpy ride

After about 55 my front end seems to bounce some. Not out of control, Maybe struts??? Or balancing?? touring model.
Old 08 Feb 2012, 10:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 04 bumpy ride

Got to a tire dealer after work and found that one of the front tires was about 50lbs. Also both tires were not balanced properly. Still seemed to be some vibes comin from the front. Saturday I'll take it up and have the rear tires balanced and a front end alignment done. We'll see what happens after that.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 11:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Seems I have two wheels that are bent. Both wheels are now on the back of the car. Will look to get two new ones of different style as it will be cheaper than the ones I have on it now. Next month I'll get the other two to round off the wheels..
Old 20 Feb 2012, 05:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

How long have you had your car and who the heck sold it to you? Did you even look at it and drive it before you bought it? Sounds like you just threw money at somebody and drove off without ever looking at it.
Old 20 Feb 2012, 11:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Really..????? Wow, that was helpful.. Thank you..Now I see why you're the moderator.. good job.. Yes I did drive the car. It ran great. I couldn't find anywhere to go over 55, but I did do 50 for a awhile and I had no vibrations or noises that I was concerned with. I did get to see under the car and and knew what problems there were. But, Really, what does any of that matter.. Maybe we should go over some of your rules of the Forum here. Doesn't a couple of your rules include being "Civilized" not "Insulting". Not only is your post NOT Civilized, it is totally "INSULTING". I knew it needed the bushings replaced and the motor mounts done.. Is any of that related to my problem with the car??? I guess not as I still have the problem. Bent wheels.. is there a way of seeing that?? Cuz at 50 it sure didn't show up..Oh I didn't check the air in that one tire on the drivers side to see that it was overinflated to hide the fact that it needed an alignment. Is that the reason why my front end vibrates at 55?? I guess that's a no also.. Really??? I bought a used car that needs some work.. I've never heard of such a thing... Let's see the engine runs good the tranny doesn't slip, the brakes come to a good stop. All the lights work.. Oh wait.. the front end has a vibration and I didn't know it.. stupid me.. Great job running the forum..

Last edited by fishntoss; 21 Feb 2012 at 12:33 am.
Old 21 Feb 2012, 06:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yea, it was a little sarcastic, sorry about that, bad morning and then seeing 3 posts with problems that should have been caught with your test drive. I didn't see any real questions either except that you wanted anyone reading your posts to guess at everything that could cause your problems. Almost everything in the front suspension plus CV joints and of course, like you found out, the wheels and tires play a major role in how the car rides and handles. So guess at what the cause was wouldn't have done you any good. You did the right thing and had professionals look at the wheels and tires but you should have also asked them to inspect the whole front end.

Used cars are ALWAYS a gamble. That's why a good long test drive and inspection is a must. Two bent wheels, over inflation and some not balanced properly and that didn't show up in your ride?

If the first (or second) owner of the cruiser let it get into such shape I'd be darn worried what else could go wrong. If those problems didn't show up in the amount of time you had it, the engine, brakes and tranny (even though you say they are working now) could be hiding some major problems. Things that won't show up with a short drive. A compression check, visual inspection of the brakes and maybe an oil analysis may be needed. You didn't say what mileage the PT has and loads of owners trade in their PT before the expensive timing belt change at 100K.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Feb 2012 at 06:14 am.
Old 21 Feb 2012, 06:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Just thought of something else before I go out on patrol. If I would have woken up on the other side of the bad (can't really wife is there) and read your posts and thought to myself, "what could cause this persons problem" and then list the whole gambit of: wheels, tires, alignment, shocks, struts, springs, CV axles, tie rod ends, ball joints, sway bar and maybe even front wheel bearings that were falling apart, that wouldn't have helped either. I can't win. The only thing you could have possibly done is have the front end checked out. No questions needed.
Old 23 Feb 2012, 06:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishntoss View Post
After about 55 my front end seems to bounce some. Not out of control, Maybe struts??? Or balancing?? touring model.
This was my question. The rest of my posts were posted so anyone, if any were interested, was to show what I've been doin to the car. Thought it might help someone else someday with the same problem.
If I had the money in hand I would've bought from a private party. Figuring, I would've had a better idea on the condition of the car. Didn't have the money so I had to go to a dealer. Nuff said there. Again, I knew I was gonna have to spend some money on it.. Really no surprises so far. I put about a 100 miles a day on it right now and it runs awesome cept the slight vibration in the front. It has about 135k on it. It's not burning any oil or overheating. I'm gettin about 25 26 mpg. And it's an 04. Anything newer was out of my price range. Nor did I care for the the interior on the newer ones. So as you can see, I did post a question and was just lettin others know what I've been doin to fix the problem.
Old 23 Feb 2012, 06:38 am
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: 04 bumpy ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishntoss View Post
The rest of my posts were posted so anyone, if any were interested, was to show what I've been doin to the car. Thought it might help someone else someday with the same problem...

...I did post a question and was just lettin others know what I've been doin to fix the problem.
I'm with you on that. I try to keep all my issues updated when I go through trial and error, discoveries, clumsiness, etc. so that someone searching for the same issue can use process of elimination to narrow down their options.

Researching is a PITA! Interesting, but a real pain.

So I try to help people in the future by just having them view 1 giant thread of sounds that I hear, leaks coming from around this area, smell coming from there, and then my pathetic attempt of trying to resolve it myself.
None the less, it's valuable info though people don't always respond.
Old 23 Feb 2012, 09:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There's the who sold it thing again. Question is did you hit any pot holes? around here there'r hard to miss. It's more like aim for the smaller one. The offset on modern FWD wheels leaves rear lip week and vulnerable to bends. See this a lot.