PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

What else makes grinding noise?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Feb 2012, 04:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Angry What else makes grinding noise?

First of all, I have become a firm believer of everything happening for a reason. My amp blew out, leaving it out of comission. Now the silence in my car allows me to hear every noise lol.

I've been searching countless threads and couldn't find a definite answer unless I am denying having to replace my wheel bearings. It's a grinding noise when turning left AND right at slow to moderate speeds. No noise at all when at idle, driving straight at any speed, or turning at speeds at about 25+mph.

If you haven't read my previous thread( Clunk during crawling ), I've already done the good ol' 12 o'clock/6 o'clock jiggle to check wheel bearings. I will check them again when I get the time, but I want to know if there are any other ways of checking them? Are there any other things I can check that may cause the grinding noise?

Low power steering will cause a whining noise, I know.

I had a past experience with a torn CV boot which I had replaced at the Dealer. They replaced the whole passenger axle. I had no noise when that occurred at all.

Could it possibly be my brand-new strut bellows? Doubt it, but I was thinking maybe the fresh rubber with the low amount of travel for the struts may cause the compressed rubber to make a noise?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09 Feb 2012, 01:43 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: What else makes grinding noise?

"Engine mounts" says my mechanic. He notices engine vibration.

Didn't inspect them yet but I took him for a short drive right after work.

Glad it's not bearings, but have a whole bunchload to inspect.
Old 14 Feb 2012, 07:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

Ok, after hours of research, I decided to plan efficiently. Yesterday I bought an extra set of upper and lower mounts from NAPA as well as a can windshield urethane. Seeing as the urethane fully cures by at least 18-24 hours (and my PT is a DD) is the reason why I bought the extra mounts.

My initial plan of attack was to apply the urethane to the new mounts yesterday and swap them out today. But as I looked at the time, there was no way the urethane would cure in time for me as it IS Valentine's Day, and my gf won't appreciate waiting on me to take her out to dinner. LOL

So I immediately had to come up with a plan B, seeing as I noticed a sight loss in power when going uphill. Basically, I decided to replace the mounts with the new ones, apply urethane to the old ones, let it cure until I get time to put them back in, take out the replacement ones, apply urethane to that, and then idk...sell it? Lol. AGAIN, ran into an obstacle! Attempted to remove the splash guard (wheel well liner), and the middle bolt just spins without coming out. Aborted that mount, and went to work on the upper. And goodnight, now I see why everyone complains about removing the upper mount on an N/A lol. After cussing and maneuvering, I finally realized that I can remove the bolt so that that bracket thing can come off, making it a lot more possible to get the mount out of that opening. And THEN, the 2 T30 bolts that are torqued to 1,000ft/lbs seemed like were welded onto the mount! Lol. WD-40 and a glove to grip got it done. So I replaced that mount and called it quits for now.

I did feel a difference by just replacing that upper mount. I'm just gonna apply urethane to the old upper mount and new lower mount, and well, have at it again.

Finally some pics to go with my novel...

New parts:

Old vs New Upper Mounts - Showing the side where the bracket mounts:
(Note: The 2 T30 screws that were hard to break loose)

Old vs New Upper Mounts - Showing the opposite side where the bolt goes:

Old vs New Upper Mounts - Held up against lighted background:

Now a couple questions:
1. Does my lower mount look really bad? Took a couple pics from underneath:

2. Can someone explain to me what exactly am I measuring in the upper mount? That 4.75 inch measurement. From what point to what point?

3. What tricks are there to getting that spinning bolt out from the splash guard? There're only 3 bolts right?

Thanks in advance!
Old 14 Feb 2012, 11:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

They actually look good-

Here's from my '01

Old 15 Feb 2012, 04:17 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Red face Re: What else makes grinding noise?

Hey 808,

Dang man, I just had to have all three of mine replaced along with the timing belt, water pump, power steering pump and on and on.

Not sure how much different the HO Turbo is to the NA but I do know its all crammed in their about as tight as it can get, and while I sat on a chair drinking ice cold beer, my mechanic friend sat and cussed at it continuously for 2 1/2 days. My mounts were way shot though but just never drove it anywhere so it was down on the todo list, but when shifting from drive to reverse the motor had a way serious jump to it. Can't see myself that motor mounts could make a grinding noise at speed but then again I am by far not near as good of mechanic as I am at all things cosmetic.

As for noise, when it comes to wheel bearings I was taught that one side (usually the right side) often goes first, and the best way to tell which side is worse is to get up to 15-25 mph and turn back and forth. As the car rocks it relieves and adds enough pressure to make the sound louder and easier to diagnose as the problem. Not 100% sure how accurate as I can make them look way better than make them run but it sounds like it might make some sense kinda sorta.

I know when I did my custom drop springs the first time I wound up having to put in a chunk of good rubber hose to the top and bottom mounts and zip tie them in place to keep that from making noise as the stock mounts tore apart in no time.

Tires made a huge change as mine made way terrible noise in front after I first dropped mine. Changed the bearings and still was bad. Then went to lower profile Kummo's in place of my way cooler looking flame cut BFG's and instant no noise at all, but you have already changed rubber so that's out.

After I switched to air ride mine started in once again with noise to which I thought my front end was just about shot after I have been screwing with it for 8 years now since everything from the air struts and other components were essentially new. Turns out that once my suspension guys tore my entire suspension apart and started over, they decided to tear open my old Air Ride Tech struts and though they wouldn't tell me exactly what they found, they pretty much said whoever designed those struts should not be designing anything. Now finally everything is quiet and goes up and down nice and smooth for once.

So if the spring rubbers are good, tires good to go, and bearings good to go, then I am afraid I am out of ideas on my end. Please let me know what it turns out being. Got me curious on this one.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing

Last edited by Candyman; 15 Feb 2012 at 04:20 am.
Old 16 Feb 2012, 01:16 am
Senior Cruiser

Appreciate the feedback from you both, always!

Thanks, good to know my lower mount is ok for now anyways. Now that grinding sound did go away yesterday after replacing the upper mount. I felt more vibration after my 1st test drive, assuming it was because of the new rubber in the mount or because I didn't do the measurement. Don't know. But today the grinding noise came back when turning the wheels at idle or parking. Putting it in reverse makes it a little more shakey. I'd hate to find out that it's the dreaded transmission mount..

Hey Candyman, that sucks that you had all of that trouble! When I had your springs the 1st time around, I never encountered this much problems, nor any of yours. This time for some reason, my PT is telling me that it don't want it anymore lol. I thought it was my bearings at 1st, but I let my mechanic sit in the passenger seat and said it was the engine mounts right off the bat. He said the noise doesn't sound like it's the bearings. I checked the 12 o'clock/6 o'clock method, no movement.

I did have to zip-tie my rear spring isolators, but again, no problems the 1st time, just the 2nd time. They did look like they were taking a beating last I saw them.

Did more research and noticed my control arm bushings may be bad. Both sides look like the driver's side in this thread:*
Help; Are these lower control arm bushings bad?

I'm pretty frustrated at this point but I may be overthinking things. Things have just been falling apart.

Anyway, thanks for the responses! Will keep you all updated.
Old 16 Feb 2012, 12:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

My brother has a brilliant idea for his failed rear control arm bushings-
So brilliant that it's taken him five years just to think about.

Doesn't seem to have really hurt anything ...
Old 16 Feb 2012, 03:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Oh wow, that's interesting. Haven't checked the rear. Doubt the fronts will last 5 years

Oh and to best describe the sound it makes when I'm turning at idle speeds, it sounds like "The Grudge."

......ha.
Old 17 Feb 2012, 02:25 am
Senior Cruiser

A clip of me driving off the Base. A sound of some movement coming from the front. Engine mounts? Struts? Bushings?

First speed bump I was going no more than 15mph. Second speed bump no more than 10mph. Windows cracked.

Now a clip of "The Grudge" noise when turning as I'm parking. Windows up.
Old 23 Feb 2012, 07:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

First I'd like to say "thank you" to Uptown Sport for lending me advice on replacing my motor mounts.

I've replaced both the upper and lower mounts filled with urethane. Not COMPLETELY filled, I left some slack because I didn't want too much vibration. Just enough for preventative measures and then some. I noticed it the engine doesn't get jumpy when putting it in reverse, park, and drive, as well as going over those bumps displayed in my 1st video of my previous post.

BUT...my PT had a hesitant start-up once yesterday. And had quite a bog at idle a different time lastnight, just after start-up. It's got a little over 33k and I know new spark plugs and wires are due soon.

AND...my PT still makes that "Grudge" noise as mentioned in the 2nd video of my previous post. I wasn't certain the motor mounts were gonna fix it of course, but just taking care of 1 problem at a time.

Any more thoughts, greatly appreciated.