Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
rally set-up for the pt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Feb 2012, 05:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default rally set-up for the pt

so, i know ive asked about dropping the pt but after relizing how much i wanna rally, im going that way with her. i found a local SCCA in detroit and im gonna get into racing rallycross. any ideas on a good all around coil-over set up you guys suggest?
Old 28 Feb 2012, 07:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: rally set-up for the pt

Wow.

Is there a class for it, or would you be competing with sport compacts?
Old 28 Feb 2012, 07:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Here's our resident Rally Neon
Greenhouse battles treacherous conditions at Sno*Drift
Old 28 Feb 2012, 07:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I've run my PT many times on both the road courses/time attacks and the drag strip. I don't have the rear sways installed and won't do another time attack without that! Man the butt wash is horrid, and increases the push into corners. You MUST get you a front strut tower brace, I'm in a vert but I think even the sedans need this. Also I'd suggest speaking with whomever does your alignment to get some negative camber thrown in. That's the setup I had all the way around, after dropping on German made H&R springs and the Tokico Blues. I've scared the poo out of guys in Stangs and Vettes up on the Tail of the Dragon running at, well lets just say I was sort of going fast (snicker - don't want to get arrested for volunteering my speed), and those guys were amazed that my puny little sleeper PT could keep up with them through the curves. On the straights the Vettes could spank me, but the Mustangs were just a waste of my energy - might as well go up against a volkswagen beetle! Stangs just aren't worth a hoot through the curveys.

Anyway, you will not be able to remove all the push, and the car's got such a friggin heavy butt that you'll definitely need to strip it, even need to take that rear tire out. Also I'd suggest, if you're really serious about this, in looking into a rear braking system similar to what drift racers are using. You'll need some tight control on that @$$ end!!! Believe me, a small tap on that rear brake during a corner when it's wet, and you're doing a 180 at minimum. Believe me, I've ripped the entire front end off my car after impacting a 10" high curb when grabbing that rear brake and having the ass end come around on me. Even with all my driving experience, if I hadn't got caught up in a barbed wire fence on the edge of a bluff overlooking a water holding pond, I'd probably have rolled it and be dead today.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 09:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Wow.

Is there a class for it, or would you be competing with sport compacts?
Yeah, in the stock fwd class. Chrome, yeah I hear ya. Ive done a little drifting in mine and yeah she likes to spin. I like the car being loose in the turns, makes everything alot more fun im looking at some D2's. Im reading theyd be a good all around set up.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 09:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisin03pt View Post
Yeah, in the stock fwd class. Chrome, yeah I hear ya. Ive done a little drifting in mine and yeah she likes to spin. I like the car being loose in the turns, makes everything alot more fun im looking at some D2's. Im reading theyd be a good all around set up.
Agree, removing a lot of that arse weight and making the back end loose is a heck of a lot better than weighing it down and trying to deal with that push through the corners. Believe me, I've been off-track because of that push so many times it's pathetic...
Old 29 Feb 2012, 10:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Agree, removing a lot of that arse weight and making the back end loose is a heck of a lot better than weighing it down and trying to deal with that push through the corners. Believe me, I've been off-track because of that push so many times it's pathetic...
It's all personal prefence. I like it loose, some people like it tight. It all depends on what yer trying to do. My problem is not being able to predict where all that weight is going. My last car, I knew everytime where the car would end up. I'm just trying to get experience with my car for right now. I think going racing is gonna be alot of fun
Old 01 Mar 2012, 08:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Can't help with setup, but I used to love tearing up the dirt Roads with my little Nissan 200sx when I lived up in GA. Not sure how well the pt would do, but I used to be able to kick out the back end within a foot of the lake coming around some corners at 60+ mph.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 02 Mar 2012, 12:42 am
Cool Cruiser

The pt has its own weight dynamics. Wide, heavy, and akward. In a straight line, she's awesome. In the turns,(depending on speed and difficulty of the turn) she handles great for what she is. It's a challenge everytime i come flyin down the road.
Old 02 Mar 2012, 01:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agreed, I've been trying to get the guys to capture me on curves with a tire off the ground...lol...