Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What's causing this noise?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Mar 2012, 01:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Default What's causing this noise?

I have recently fitted coilovers to my '03 Touring PT. It was already lowered 35mm on springs with standard shocks and all worked OK, apart from being a bit bouncy. At the same time I fitted new control arms with poly bushes, new drop links and new top mount bearings.

The current drop is only 40mm, but now whenever I turn the wheel there is a twanging/boing noise from the front passenger side (Drivers side on US cars). This noise didn't occur with the lowering springs and has me stumped. I was supplied with incorrect track rod ends and am waiting to receive the correct ones, will fitting these cure the noise.

It sounds as though something is catching, but I cannot see what!

I thought the camber was off and so bought Eibach Camber adjustment bolts, but when I took it in to have them fitted and the alignment done, I was informed that they do not fit my car.

One think that is of concern, is the drop links, as the nut is completely tight, but they do not seem to sit tightly. Also the thread sticking out above the nut is very long, do you think that this is catching on the drive shaft.

Any suggestions or previous experience would be appreciated
Old 08 Mar 2012, 01:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: What's causing this noise?

Question - are you running stock wheels and tire size? Have you checked the clearance between tire and the spring mount on the coil-overs? This isn't a coil-over but you can see that flange where the spring sits...

Old 08 Mar 2012, 07:09 pm
Young Cruiser

Wheels are 16 inch steels with standard tyres.

I have at least 20mm of clearance between the tyre and the spring seat as the coils on coilovers are of a much smaller diameter than standard or lowered springs.

I think it might be the top of the drop link bolt catching on the drive shaft, so will try cutting off the excess theads and see if that improves things.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 04:43 am
Young Cruiser

It was not the drop link, it was actually the internal spring inside the damper part of the coilover rotating in the housing! I coated the coilover with a large amount of white grease and the noise disappeared.

Disappointingly, I found out that my trolley-jack was not man enough to lift the back high enough to fit the adjustable springs and shocks to the rear, so the car has some serious rake going on for now!
Old 03 Apr 2012, 09:01 am
Young Cruiser

Noise returned, but only when turning the wheel.

Did some more digging and found that the tyre was catching on the spring part of the coilover. I have adjusted the camber and now it is fixed.

Still gotta do the rear.......