Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
wheel spacers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Mar 2012, 05:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default wheel spacers?

Turns out the new rims I got for my pt are rubbing the bottm of my strut tower a lil bit when I go over bumps. Was thinking about getting spacers for the front to clear the strut tower. Does anyone know where I can get some other then ebay or the internet? Jegs doesn't carry 5x100
Old 10 Mar 2012, 05:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: wheel spacers?

Do a search on google:

5x100 hubcentric spacers _mm
Old 10 Mar 2012, 05:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

If your not using hubcentric adapters or the wheels or not hubcentric, you can pick up spacers for about 1/4 the cost at most auto parts stores like advance, auto zone, etc...

I have been running 5mm spacers that are not hubcentric for years without issues as many others have to. Theres a big debate on this subject that im not goig to get into other than my experince posted here.
Old 10 Mar 2012, 06:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

What's the difference between hubcentric spacers and wheel spacers? In the pics they look about the same
Old 10 Mar 2012, 07:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Hubcentric is: If you remove your wheel and look on the car, there is a flange made on the hub. This flange fits into the factory wheel so its perfectly centered.

A lot of aftermarket wheels the center bore is larger than factory wheels so they can fit many cars. Some wheels come with adapters to fill in the area so they fit onto these flanges.

Now this is where the debate comes in. Many say this flange also support the wheel and the studs have to much pressure supporting the wheels if its not hubcentric.

Others believe it is only to center the wheel up and does nothing for support.

As i said, i have run without them for years no problems as other have to. My theory is look back at all the cars with the various wheels people change over to. I know there a large percentage out there that have never even thought about hubcentric adapters much less use them,

I guess if someone just crammed the lugnuts on using an impact they could get the wheel out of center causing vibrations but using hand to tighten in cross patern i dont see how you can get them out of center.

Spacers are nothing more than spacing the wheel out BUT they do make wheel spacers that are hubcentric. It can get expensive though cause the space has to fit the hub and the other side has to fit in the wheel.

Last edited by xwing777; 10 Mar 2012 at 07:08 pm.
Old 10 Mar 2012, 07:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm running hubcentric spacers on mine. Now I don't know for certain, but I think that spacers, non-hubcentric, are like generic. You buy the bolt pattern but the spacers are general. At least that's what I think and I could quite possibly be wrong!

Me, I'm running a set of 5mm hubcentric spacers. They fit the opening of the new wheel, and add space between the wheel and hub, but have this rolled over edge that allows your wheel to center up on them when you drop the wheel on. As X mentions, there's been a long-going 'conversation' about whether or not to use hubcentric. Now me, personally, I don't go for cheaper, I go for best. The first set of spacers that Discount Tire installed with my first set of custom wheels was not hubcentric, add to it, THEY WERE MADE OF PLASTIC! Okay, these were the 'free' ones that came with the new wheels.

First time I went in I needed them to verify my front wheel/tire balance. When they pulled them off I noticed the spacers and went off into space myself. Went inside and literally grabbed the store manager and dragged him out to my car. He's known me for years and knows that I don't put "crap" on my car. He actually got his guys to get me some hubcentric spacers, which required ordering, but the set only cost me $35. They came in a week later, this kind of purpley-pinkish colored hardened aluminum, and when they put them on the hub, the wheels lined up immediately to them and I have no problems to this day making sure my wheels are mounted correctly.

Now, if your wheels have those inset lugs, the ones that have the mushroom shaped head that pushes into the wheel, well hubcentric isn't a necessity, as long as you tighten them in the correct bolt pattern. That way you align your wheel to the hub correctly. So again, as X says, hubcentric costs more, but isn't necessary.

Here's the wheel tightening pattern, and the required torque for same:
Old 10 Mar 2012, 07:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Ok. Thanks for the info. After calling around several part stores I found and advance that has them so hopefully it clears it. If not anyone want some rims? Lol
Old 10 Mar 2012, 07:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbsr05pt View Post
Ok. Thanks for the info. After calling around several part stores I found and advance that has them so hopefully it clears it. If not anyone want some rims? Lol
Let me ast you a quershen...if you were to do a job on those rims, would that be called a "rim job"....OMG LMAO... yes, I'm a nasty, dirty olde farte....
Old 10 Mar 2012, 08:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Lmao!!!!! I'll find out tomorrow how well it works out. To late now.
Old 10 Mar 2012, 08:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yes there is quite a debate about it. I've always read that our cars are hubcentric.

On my Axis, I use hubcentric rings to fill that gap. They're plastic but get the job done perfectly. I've read some bad reviews about aluminum/metal/whatever rings.

But anyway, spacers are a different story regarding material.

I'd personally use hubcentric spacers to be safe, but it's up to you. It's already been proven you don't need quite need it but as Chromenut mentioned, I also think they may be too cheap. Especially the universal patterns thy have like 6 other holes (no sexual intended, Robin lol!) since they may look like they'll break easily.

Goodluck on your decision. Post pics!