Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
ideas or suggestions? rims still hitting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Mar 2012, 04:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default ideas or suggestions? rims still hitting

Well I returned the spacers I got last night. Theu don't fit. I need some that fit and bigger. I need to move the front tires out about an inch lol. Some might say don't worry bout it and out your regular tires back on but by golly I paid and cant return them so I'm gonna get them to fit one way or another. This is where I need everyones help. I'm guessing I'll just have to get something offline but I don't wanna spend more then 100. Any ideas? Right now I'm riding with the stock on front and the ones I just bought on the back. Didn't see the point in the wasted energy to switch them out when I'm gonna be putting the fronts back on hopefully next weekend.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 04:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: ideas or suggestions? rims still hitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbsr05pt View Post
Well I returned the spacers I got last night. Theu don't fit. I need some that fit and bigger. I need to move the front tires out about an inch lol. Some might say don't worry bout it and out your regular tires back on but by golly I paid and cant return them so I'm gonna get them to fit one way or another. This is where I need everyones help. I'm guessing I'll just have to get something offline but I don't wanna spend more then 100. Any ideas? Right now I'm riding with the stock on front and the ones I just bought on the back. Didn't see the point in the wasted energy to switch them out when I'm gonna be putting the fronts back on hopefully next weekend.
Where exackly is the rub. If you need an inch there is no way they should turn at all without rubbing.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 05:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

There's less then 1/8 of an inch between the edge of my tire and the bottom of the strut. It can still turn and drive. Itll only rub if u go over a bump the front tires are snug right under it. If you went out and looked at yours. Look on the bottom of your strut. Right at the plate and feel where the coil is in the center and look on the otside and that's the spot where it rubs when I go over a bump. I was looking at these on ebay. Any good?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=25643067366
Old 11 Mar 2012, 05:14 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

What tire size do you have?
Old 11 Mar 2012, 05:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Tires that aren't for this car lol I knew that when I got them but finding the right spacers isn't as easy as I thought. P215/55r17
Old 11 Mar 2012, 06:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Tires that aren't for this car lol I knew that when I got them but finding the right spacers isn't as easy as I thought. P215/55r17
Do they rub all the time?

You shouldn't get closer to the strut except with side wall flex in a turn. In a bump type movement the wheel and strut move together.

Last edited by Busted_PT; 11 Mar 2012 at 06:36 pm.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 06:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Get some washers and put one on each stud and try it out. Then add another till you cure the rub. then get a spacer to match that thickens.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 07:19 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

All I know is there's about an inch long rub mark from where the tire is hitting. I ordered some hubcentric spacers. They should be here sometime this week. We'll see how it goes. I'll post pics after I get them installed.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 07:21 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Did you know those tires are 1.25" too big?
Old 11 Mar 2012, 07:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Idk if it rubs all the time and the only reason I'm thinking its only when I go over bumps is because when the car is level its about 1/8 away from the bottom of the strut. Make sense?