Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
The Great Debate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Mar 2012, 08:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default The Great Debate

So I cant decide on what's a better fit for what I'm trying to do. I really wanna run coilovers, but due to price I cant see running a $1500+ on a set-up that i don't really see me using to the fullest extent. Though running bags would be just as cool, but its alot more labor intensive and would cost about the same (if not more). The pros of the bags are: I can raise and drop it on the fly, but there's more to go wrong with it. The coilovers are a more performance suited, which means that i have to tune everything, and if I need t go over a steep driveway, I have to get out and raise my set-up. In your opinon, what's the better way to go? Bags or coilovers? What's the best way to get more bang for the buck?
Old 28 Mar 2012, 04:02 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: The Great Debate

Hey their cruisin03pt,

Honestly, from someone who has been dealing with bags for a few years now, a good bolt on bag kit including everything you will need as far as entry level, you should be looking closer to double that for a full basic air ride kit. Parts, lines, compressors, and so forth should be running a minimum $3000.00 plus alone not including install.

Any less and I would question the kit, or having missing parts, or something along those lines.

Just my two cents from my experience.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 28 Mar 2012, 08:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: The Great Debate

I agree, we airbagged my dad's 1988 Olds 98 and parts alone were around $2600, you're talking 10 years ago so figure they are over $3k now. We did the install ourselves, they wanted $1200 for the install!
Old 28 Mar 2012, 10:19 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
I agree, we airbagged my dad's 1988 Olds 98 and parts alone were around $2600, you're talking 10 years ago so figure they are over $3k now. We did the install ourselves, they wanted $1200 for the install!

Wow, I have never seen a slammed olds 98!
Old 28 Mar 2012, 10:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Wow, I have never seen a slammed olds 98!
I wish I still had photos of it! It was friggin fabulous - wire wheels with center spinners, custom paint, and it was hysterical to see us towing our boat out to the lake behind that car!
Old 02 Apr 2012, 08:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ok so go with the coil-overs then? I do think she'll look nasty slammed
Old 03 Apr 2012, 01:44 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: The Great Debate

Hey their cruisin03pt,

Totally agree, I really think the PT body lines look pretty sick dropped down low. Been a long time obsession of mine to get as much drop as I could. After 4 renditions I am pretty close to max drop on my PT, and love the look. Turns heads no matter where she goes.

Only down side to getting to where I am at now took a ton of time and money to get it their mostly due to having to pretty much scrap about 98% of the suspension and custom build everything from scratch by hand. Took two guys working for the better part of 3 months worth of 8-10 hour days to get it all done. The cool thing is other than the top wheel well caps had to be modified to allow for the rear wheels to tuck as far as possible, but nothing else was cut from the trunk to the front strut towers and even the front plastic wheel well inserts were put back in. Its actually low enough that the factory muffler wouldn't fit back on it, and their are now shackles in the rear, and metal stops in front to keep from damaging the lower body seem.

I know ya most likely have already seen it, but just in case to show ya a my madness with achieving a good drop on a PT....

Now if your looking for a fairly respectable drop, you could have a custom set of drop springs made for around $500.00 and you can get away with as much as a full 3" x 5" drop as long as you keep close to your stock 7.5" wide wheel. The wheel size can go up to 19" and still stay within stock specs. In fact to prove the 3" x 5" drop can work with up to 19"s, here was a guy who ran a set of my old Candy Drop Springs at 3" x 5" while rolling 19"s.

Anywayz, go easy and if you have any questions, I am usually around here most everyday.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 03 Apr 2012, 10:25 am
Young Cruiser

I have FK Silverline X coilovers on my car. They cost 487 (about $850) and have full height and dampening adjustability. They are also TUV approved, which means that they are better than most OEM Chrysler parts. They are sold in the USA through a number of retailers, as they are very popular with VW and BMW owners.

Fitting is pretty painless, you will need standard drop links for real lows as the energy suspension kit is too tight in the control arm and they creak when you corner.

It's never gonna lay frame, but they are great for dialling in a nice rake and it looks the bomb.

2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 13 Apr 2012, 01:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

candyman, looks sick. id be down for some of those custom springs ya got(if you still have some). im looking to level out the whole car but no too much ya know?. Whats your opinion about it? im wanting to run the 16's i have or going up to 17's at most. also, what kind of wheels are those on your customers car? i like the look of those.

Last edited by cruisin03pt; 13 Apr 2012 at 01:22 pm.
Old 02 May 2012, 09:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

I found a set up that isnt too bad on price. Bout 800 for the set. Its a step down from kw coilovers. Anyone ever use these?