PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
NEED HELP WITH A STRUT ISSUE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Apr 2012, 08:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default NEED HELP WITH A STRUT ISSUE

Hey,

well I have an 05 PT 2.4 n/a and i was replacing the front struts i got the passenger strut in 20 mins. When i got to the driver side and the problem started i have a brand new strut from monroe with the the coil on it already and when i went to go put it on the strut is to pushed out and wont go in place with the knucle so i compressed the spring and tried pushing the strut in place and it wont budge i played with it and still nothing. can anybody give me any help in how to solve or fix this issue please my PT has been sitting in the garage for a month with this problem.

thanks!!!
Old 05 Apr 2012, 09:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: NEED HELP WITH A STRUT ISSUE

What have you been doing for that month? Never mind...don't think I want to know.

Hard to imagine what you mean by "strut is too pushed out" except that it may be extended. You won't, as you found out, be able to compress it by hand so just take it to an auto shop (not Pep Boys or Auto Zone) but a real shop and have them compress the strut for you.
Old 05 Apr 2012, 09:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluis View Post
Hey,

well I have an 05 PT 2.4 n/a and i was replacing the front struts i got the passenger strut in 20 mins. When i got to the driver side and the problem started i have a brand new strut from monroe with the the coil on it already and when i went to go put it on the strut is to pushed out and wont go in place with the knucle so i compressed the spring and tried pushing the strut in place and it wont budge i played with it and still nothing. can anybody give me any help in how to solve or fix this issue please my PT has been sitting in the garage for a month with this problem.

thanks!!!
Unhook the sway bar or raise the other side of the car so the control arm will travel down a little more. You should be able to get the bottom bolt in the strut and knuckle. Then you should be able to roll the knuckle in for the top bolt.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 05 Apr 2012 at 09:18 pm.
Old 06 Apr 2012, 12:14 am
Fanatic Cruiser

had trouble putting my new struts on my z24. we didnt have any special parts. its dangerous im sure. you need a big man and a prybar. my stepdad put the prybar under the strut and in the frame and pushed and i pushed the bolt through. was pretty simple. not hard. just something my tiny self cant do. and you probably shouldnt do. so this may have been a waste of time.
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Old 06 Apr 2012, 02:04 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Remove the sway bar links on both sides so the sway bar is out of the way which allows the lower control arms to drop further. Have a helper use a pry bar to hold it down while you install. Be careful not to push against the CV boot.

I've heard that the Monroe Quick Strut will probably raise your vehicle. I went w/ KYB's w/ new mounts and used my factory springs. Rides more stable.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.