PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
front end clunk at low speed

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2012, 03:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default front end clunk at low speed

Hi everybody - This is my first post here and I am STUMPED. I have an '08 Cruiser. I just replaced the control arms (Moog), both tie rod ends, installed 2 strut packs, both sway bar links and the other 2 sway bar bushings (24mm).
I then had 4 new Goodyears installed and an alignment. My problem is a clunking noise (not creaking) when I hit a bump at low speed. It feels as though it is coming through the floor. I am thinking of removing the sway bar to see if it goes away. What do you guys think? The stabilizer links are kind of funky, too. They have a spacer on them between the bushings. I can provide a pic, if you need one. Everything is tight and torqued to spec, the ball joints are greased, and the car doesn't make any noise if I put a bar under the tire and raise it or if I push down on it when the car is on the ground. BTW - The clunking was there before the alignment. Am I missing something?
Old 24 Apr 2012, 03:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: front end clunk at low speed

You also have 9 other posts under the non-working washer so it isn't your first post. As far as the banging over bumps, have yo looked at your exhaust pipe where it goes over the rear axle? Many have found the pipe hits the axle when going over bumps.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 05:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

You are right....I have posted before (9 times!) Forgot all about them...age related I am sure....The pipe will be checked tonight after work....I'm still eyeballing the sway bar, though.....might pull it anyway while I am under there and see what happens.....Thanks for the reply.....
Old 05 May 2012, 02:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I did the same thing.2007 pt Cruiser, replaced control arms with Moog. it started to clunk at low speed's. I then replaced stabilizer bar bushings, links. Still clunk's. took bar completly off clunk gone. I then ordered, original part link's, worse.
I do not know what to do next. I am wondering if the moog arms are different from the original, seems like the links are binding.
Old 05 May 2012, 03:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzsaw0553 View Post
I did the same thing.2007 pt Cruiser, replaced control arms with Moog. it started to clunk at low speed's. I then replaced stabilizer bar bushings, links. Still clunk's. took bar completly off clunk gone. I then ordered, original part link's, worse.
I do not know what to do next. I am wondering if the moog arms are different from the original, seems like the links are binding.
What about were bar fastens too the frame? Is it loose?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 May 2012, 10:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I even tried what someone did on another post, I cut a couple of peices of serpentine belt and put it under the clamp. didn't help. Tried lubricating the bushings no help.
Old 06 May 2012, 04:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I got mine fixed finally. Removing the sway bar eliminated the noise, so when I put it back in, I tightened the stabilizer links much tighter than before, and it went away. The bushings had a pretty good bulge to them when I was done, buut it worked! Hope this helps.
Old 07 May 2012, 09:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I think the hole for the stabilizer link is in the wrong place. The only thing I changed is the control arm's. I may have to get new bushings pressed into the old arms, and reinstall them. I tried factory plastic links, very bad. I now have the kind of links with the blue donuts and washers, they are a lot beter,but still make noise on big bumps.
Old 08 May 2012, 03:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Before you spend any more money try making the links good and tight. And dont forget to make sure that the wheels are in their normal position (like they are on the ground when you go back to tighten the bar. I let my car down on the ground and then just reached under it and did the final tightening of the sway bar like that.
Old 09 May 2012, 09:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I tighten them down they look like squshed donuts. So far they are quiet. Thanks for the sugestion.