Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
rim/tire size recomendations....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2012, 09:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question rim/tire size recomendations....

im thinking of getting some rims for my cruiser. im just curious as to what would be the best rim/tire size for someone living in Colorado who wants to keep the same rims on all year round

i dont want 20's or anything like that. something that fills the wheel well like now with my stock 15' rims....only maybe a 17" rim? i dunno......

any ideas?
2005 N/A Pt Cruiser. K&N drop in, limo tint, MSD 8.5 wires, Champion Double Platinum #7570 plugs,
Old 24 Apr 2012, 09:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: rim/tire size recomendations....

I take it your not familiar with the +1 or +2 tire/wheel fitment. The wheel size goes up and inch, the tire circumference comes down to compensate. That way the speedometer stays true. You don't get to fill the gap in the wheel well.

If you don't care about the speedometer reading correctly, then a larger size sidewall will fill the wheel well gap but you have to watch out for rubbing if you go to big.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 09:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

yeah i have no idea about tire sizes......i know what the numbers mean.....ok how bout this........if i like a pair of 17x7 rims.........whats the right tire size for that? also without sounding dumb, how will that look in the wheel well? LOL
2005 N/A Pt Cruiser. K&N drop in, limo tint, MSD 8.5 wires, Champion Double Platinum #7570 plugs,
Old 24 Apr 2012, 09:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I went up to 17 inch and I'm using 205x50x17 tires. Could probably go a bit wider if I wanted, but the wheel well gap would still be large if I didn't have the Eibach Lowering springs.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 11:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

yeah i dont want to lower it, with the snow we get sometimes itll be bad for the bumper LOL.....
Old 03 Jun 2012, 10:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

On my 2003 Dream Cruiser...I just changed out my 17" factory chrome rims due to salt corrosion (I live in Boston). I just got a new set of 17X7.5 Helo rims (HE874) from Tirerack and they look super awesome! I should post a pic. Anyway, the best part is that they are PVD...supposedly PVD is much more resistant to salt corrosion than normal chrome rims which I thought you might like to know since you live in CO. If you want to keep your current tires, then make sure they will fit your new rims which will likely be wider than the factory ones. I went from 6" factory to 7.5" Helo....luckily my tires fit both.
Good Luck!
Old 03 Jun 2012, 11:26 am
Regular Cruiser

yeah i wont be keeping the existing tires, they suck and are the noisyiest tires i have ever had. so itll be new rims and tires LOL. goot to know though that 17x7 will fit nicely.........id love to see a pic
Old 09 Jun 2012, 04:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Here's a pic of the new rims. They are actually super shiny, but I took this pic when it was rainy outside. So far, I love them...even had some random guy take a picture of them while I was at a stop light. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT.jpg (17.1 KB, 42 views)
Old 09 Jun 2012, 05:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

For Colorado I'd strongly suggest tall, narrow tires.
Plus sizes usually come in performance tread, and while excellent for summer, they're deathtraps in snow.
My Yokahamamamas (ALL SEASON ) were so bad it was laughable!!!!!!!
Perhaps get a set of summers and buy some old steelies & install snows or good all seasons.
While you can still get the good old 'Town & County' snow tread, many now make European treads that are quiet, soft riding and have great traction.
Old 09 Jun 2012, 06:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yep, people definitely should pay attention to the tire ratings that are appropriate to their climate. I once had a pair of higher performance tires for my PT that worked great until the snow/ice arrived. I also know a couple people who have 2 sets of tires (or wheels): 1. higher performance, and 2. winter. In the 17" category there are some pretty good all season tires available, and if you live somewhere with lots of snow/ice then you can get spiderspike cables (won't harm you nice rims). I have a pair but I've only used them once.