Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pedal gets stuck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Apr 2012, 12:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Pedal gets stuck?

my acceleration pedal gets stuck on the initial press of take off. i usually have to step on it lightly then step on it again. i really just want a smooth take off. it looks like i don't know how to drive when people see me. does anyone know a fix for this?
Old 30 Apr 2012, 12:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Pipeous
Default Re: Pedal gets stuck?

I would be looking under the hood about center on top. the throttle cables are under a plstic cover right up top. maybe something is binding those cables up like a hose or something. easy to check
The Mean Tangerine: Pteazer Smoothie front fascia, Roadster grill, and Retro real roll pan, dual exhaust, 17" Momo wheels, Eibach lowering kit, 2005 intake, bov, 5 speed manual tranny, painted door pillars, altezza tail lights, hurst short shift kit, hard pipes, halo fog lights and stage 1 computer and injectors
Old 30 Apr 2012, 12:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeous View Post
I would be looking under the hood about center on top. the throttle cables are under a plstic cover right up top. maybe something is binding those cables up like a hose or something. easy to check
i have checked that, and i've had a friend step on the gas pedal, and he says it gets stuck but while im looking at it, nothing seems wrong with it.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 01:29 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEmma View Post
my acceleration pedal gets stuck on the initial press of take off. i usually have to step on it lightly then step on it again. i really just want a smooth take off. IT LOOKS LIKE I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE when people see me. does anyone know a fix for this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEmma View Post
i have checked that, and i've had a friend step on the gas pedal, and he says it gets stuck but while im looking at it, nothing seems wrong with it.
As per the quote from above, do you know how to drive? JK, I'm really picking on you today. Proper lubrication is PROBABLY all you need. Start inside at the accelerator pedal and use WD-40 on all pivot points that start at the pedal until they go through the firewall.

Next, when you said that you checked the cam where the cables attach to the throttle body, did you JUST CHECK them or did you lube them when you had the cover off? If you didn't, go back and pull the cover and lube them. Also lube the point where the shaft enters the TB. Next pull the air filter hose hose (NA) from the inlet on the TB and turn the throttle body cam to wot and clean inside the TB bore. I've found that a rag soaked in WD-40 is a good way to do this. You can also use a toothbrush with WD-40. Using aerosol carb cleaner is the "correct" way to clean inside the bore, but I have found from expereince that if someone has to ask how to do this with the TB still on the engine, they will invariably spray to much cleaner into the TB and you can get very dangerous results from doing that. I won't accept that liability just because I was trying to help someone.

Also, you did make sure that you don't have the Toyota syndrome right?

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 30 Apr 2012 at 01:34 pm. Reason: I swallowed my toothpick
Old 30 Apr 2012, 01:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
As per the quote from above, do you know how to drive? JK, I'm really picking on you today. Proper lubrication is PROBABLY all you need. Start inside at the accelerator pedal and use WD-40 on all pivot points that start at the pedal until they go through the firewall.

Next, when you said that you checked the cam where the cables attach to the throttle body, did you JUST CHECK them or did you lube them when you had the cover off? If you didn't, go back and pull the cover and lube them. Also lube the point where the shaft enters the TB. Next pull the air filter hose hose (NA) from the inlet on the TB and turn the throttle body cam to wot and clean inside the TB bore. I've found that a rag soaked in WD-40 is a good way to do this. You can also use a toothbrush with WD-40. Using aerosol carb cleaner is the "correct" way to clean inside the bore, but I have found from expereince that if someone has to ask how to do this with the TB still on the engine, they will invariably spray to much cleaner into the TB and you can get very dangerous results from doing that. I won't accept that liability just because I was trying to help someone.

Also, you did make sure that you don't have the Toyota syndrome right?

Jerry
LOL yea you are picking on me, ill get ya back, don't worry. as far as what you said. i read chinese. i did not understand it at all. but from what i can understand is when i checked it. i was moving the cable and it seems to get stuck from that thing by the throttle body. but as far as wd-40. where exactly do i lube it up (that's what she said )

AND NO! I DO NOT HAVE TOYOTA SYNDROME!
Old 30 Apr 2012, 02:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

before cleaning the TB check for uneven wear/shiny spots/scratches around the perimeter of the throttle blade. also check to see that the throttle body shaft is not broken in the center.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 02:26 pm
Banned

AND NO! I DO NOT HAVE TOYOTA SYNDROME![/QUOTE]

In other words, you're floormat isn't stuck under the pedal? It was a joke

Jerry