Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Axle movement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Apr 2012, 07:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Axle movement

I have a rattle in my front right suspension. After checking for loose anything, I have found nothing. But I do have horizontal movement in my axle. None up and down, but I can slide it in and out slightly. I dont think its the CV joints, but may be the spline sliding in and out of the bearing. I thought the axle nut tightend this into the bearing. I am the second owner so I am suspicious it may have not been tightened enough. Is there supposed to be movement? The noise seems less when going around corners.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 08:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Axle movement

There should be zero axle movement. First try would be the axle nut. If it's not that you will really need to see where the movement is coming from. Wheel bearings and hub damage are very common and the proper diagnosis may be tricky. I changed my drivers side bearing 3 times in a very short time.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 08:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ok I will check that. Seems to be lots of front end problems with these. Ive done lots of these front wheel drive vehicles and havent run across this yet. Im hoping the previous wrench monkey just didnt tighten the it enough since the bearing is pressed in and there doesnt seem to be any play up and down or wobble in the hub or wheel.

Last edited by L2fish; 30 Apr 2012 at 09:01 pm.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 11:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The axle will slide back and forth- It will mo ve in the trans-
Comp's right on that the axle nut should be tight
Old 01 May 2012, 03:58 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks folks, its the only thing I can think of that would make thunkity noise except struts or ball joints. Kinda sounds like a loose ball joint, can feel it right under the gas pedal.. seems only on the passenger side. I checked the conrol arm bushings and they are fine.
Old 01 May 2012, 06:24 am
Fanatic Cruiser

You can always go to a tire shop for a free inspection or jack up the car and see exactly what component is allowing for the movement. If you're up to the challenge of the repair, you can search the how-to's on this site.

You need to have it fixed before it causes an accident.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 02 May 2012, 04:20 am
Cool Cruiser

I put a bar under the wheel and wiggled up and down. There is no play in the ball joint. I checked the inner and outer tie rods. The only thing that moves is the axle. Im gonna get the torque wrench out this weekend and check the axle nut.
Old 02 May 2012, 08:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2fish View Post
I put a bar under the wheel and wiggled up and down. There is no play in the ball joint. I checked the inner and outer tie rods. The only thing that moves is the axle. Im gonna get the torque wrench out this weekend and check the axle nut.
The shaft will move in and out of the hub a little. The outer hub of the axle should not move or have any play were it goes through the bearing.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 May 2012, 04:25 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Busted PT. Hmmm. Maybe my rattle is being caused by the Strut then.
Old 03 May 2012, 06:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The struts have a mounting plate that can wear.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com